Briscoe Western Art Museum San Antonio, Texas
Reports To: Exhibitions Manager Fair Labor Standard Act Status: Full-time, Non-exempt position Department: Exhibitions Department
The Museum Preparator will support the Exhibitions Department. Reporting to the Exhibition Manager, the successful candidate will use appropriate materials, equipment, and methods to display, store, pack, and transport works of art. The Museum Preparator will plan and execute the fabrication, installation, disassembly, maintenance, and storage of works of art and furniture for permanent and special exhibition galleries.
• Direct the preparation and installation of exhibits, including the installation of art objects, integration of graphics, media, and lighting, and overall gallery finishing.
• Responsible for the packing, unpacking, shipping, and storage of art.
• Complete pickups and deliveries of works of art.
• Assist with the management of collection inventories, condition reports, and maintenance.
• Maintain inventories of exhibition and permanent collection furniture, mounts, and associated hardware.
• Assist with the preparation and installation of Night of Artists exhibition and art sale.
• Maintain professional standards in collection storage areas.
• Maintain off-site storage sites and safely move art in and out.
• Assist with supervision of other employees/contractors on proper art handling and preparation techniques.
• Work with president, curators, and exhibition manager in planning and designing installations.
• Assess need for building maintenance and repairs (pertaining to art or galleries) and monitor performance of maintenance personnel.
• Hire, schedule, and supervise contract art handlers under the direction of the Exhibition Manager.
• Oversee and/or fabricate display fixtures, pedestals, wall mounts, or any other light construction needed for exhibitions or galleries.
• Prepare galleries with paint touch-up and prepare and paint pedestals, cases, and other gallery fixtures.
• Develop exhibition installation budgets under the direction of the Exhibition Manager.
• Develop cost-effective methods of working with vendors and contractors for purchase of related equipment, tools, materials, supplies, and services.
• Prepare artwork for exhibition and storage, building storage racks and handling mounts.
• Secure and alarm art objects.
• Maintain galleries, dusting exposed art objects and pedestals weekly.
• Participate in the development of museum standards, safety, and preservation of the collections in accordance with AAMD and AAM standards.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Position Description for Museum Preparator
• Bachelor’s degree in art history, studio art, or related field preferred.
• Three to six years of related experience.
• Thorough knowledge of procedures and materials used for art handling, packing, installation/de- installation, storage, mount-making, rigging, gantry, wrapping, and transport.
• Advanced skills in the use of power tools, wood/metal shop machinery, and/or lifting apparatuses.
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook) proficient.
• Demonstrated interest in American and Western American art, history, and culture.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize with little or no supervision.
• Ability to solve complex problems within budget restrictions and tight deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Must be detail-oriented, organized, and a team player.
• Must have valid driver’s license.
Position requires periods of physical activity, including lifting at least 25 pounds, and pushing up to 75 pounds with the assistance of a cart. Evening, weekend, and holiday work is required.
Interested parties can send a cover letter and resume using any one of these methods.
Facsimile/FAX Subject: Museum Preparator Fax Number: (210) 299-4118 or Email Subject: Museum Preparator #removed#
The Briscoe Western Art Museum is located on the picturesque San Antonio River Walk adjacent to La Villita and the Arneson River Theatre.
Through the preservation of the art, history, and culture of the American West, the Briscoe Western Art Museum inspires and educates the public with engaging exhibitions, educational programs, and public events reflective of the region's rich traditions and shared heritage.
Role: Museum Preparator
Location: San Antonio,
Apply for this job now.