HASC, a forerunner in special education is seeking Teacher Assistants.
We have openings in our Preschool and School Age Programs for:
- Substitute Teacher Assistants / Aides (hourly position)
- 1:1 Teacher Assistants / Shadows (hourly position)
- Full-time (salaried position)
These positions are available immediately.
Appropriate Special Education TA certification a plus.
Compensation is $80/day; 8:30 am - 3:00 pm for Substitutes and Shadows.
As one of our Teacher Assistants, you will be completing a variety of tasks. Depending on the type of assistant you are your duties may vary slightly.
The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under the direction of the classroom teacher for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives.
- Communicates with teachers for the purpose of assisting in evaluating progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
- Implements under the supervision of assigned teacher, instructional programs and lesson plans (e.g. reading, math, language comprehension, writing, computer, etc.) for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts.
- Maintains classroom equipment and work area for the purpose of ensuring availability of a safe learning environment and/or meeting mandated requirements.
- Monitors individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings (e.g. rest rooms, playgrounds, hallways, bus loading zones, cafeteria, assemblies, field trips, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment.
- Promotes good study habits and student independence for the purpose of improving the quality of student outcomes.
- Provides, under the supervision of assigned teacher, instruction to students in a variety of individual and group activities (e.g. self esteem, behavioral skills, daily living skills, etc.) for the purpose of implementing goals for remediation of student deficiencies and ensuring student’s success.
- Documents student’s daily activities (e.g. behavior, completed assignments, on/off task times, etc.) for the purpose of completing daily logs and student’s hourly activities.
- Models conversation, manners, clean up activities, listening, and everyday interactions for the purpose of demonstrating appropriate social behavior in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Monitors student’s daily schedule and behavior plan (e.g. class schedule, toileting, medication, appetite, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment.
- Responds to emergency situations (e.g. injured students, fights, etc.) for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
We look forward to your application.
HASC began in 1963 to serve the needs of the needs of disabled children. From the start, the program was characterized by professionalism, with a focus on the individual needs of each child. The vision continues to affect the programs that we operate today. What started as a small program in New York City, has now blossomed into 6 locations in the New York region servicing over 1,100 children. Services are provided at the child's home, day care center, nursery and at our center based locations.
We are licensed by the NYS Education Department and by the NYS Department of Health. We are grant recipients from OMRDD, DSS, DYCS, USHUD and USDE which provide program enrichments.
At HASC, children and families are seen and treated as unique and special individuals. The staff are constantly challenged to address the needs of their students by using curricula and techniques unique to the field of special education. Innovation, creativity, and motivation are the hallmarks of a HASC staff member.
Role: Teacher Assistants - Full-Time and Substitute
Apply for this job now.