Shrub Oak International School is a world-class, private, special education boarding and day school preparing students for independent adult life and employment. We serve the sophisticated needs of an international co-ed population of young adults on the Autism Spectrum. Our innovative relationship-based model grounded in evidence-based principles builds on students' strengths and interests, maximizing therapeutic and learning opportunities. Our renowned experts work with students to individualize life and career development paths based on each student's specific needs and interests. Each student's team of clinicians, teachers, and student- life staff collaborate closely to address the student's issues quickly and reinforce therapies and learning paths, so that the student progresses more rapidly. Our modern, technology-infused facility is set on 127 acres of agriculture and farmland where students learn in a natural environment full of sensory experiences. Our graduates live independently and have a purposeful, self-sustaining future, to the best of each student's ability. After a few years of operation, Shrub Oak will have close to 600 staff and 390 students.
Under the direction of a Security Supervisor, the Security Guard position is a hands-on role responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for Shrub Oak International School's students, staff, parents and visitors, as well as protecting the assets owned or controlled by Shrub Oak International School. The Security Guard will be responsible for patrolling the campus and monitoring the premises via direct observation and CCTV. The Security Guard position responsibilities include but are not limited to, daily security functions, response to safety or emergency situations, security and safety related trainings/drills, as well as the implementation of all emergency response and business continuity plans. He/she will be responsible for assisting in the documentation of incidents related to physical security, potential liability of the facility and any incidents requiring documentation as outlined in the policy and procedures of Shrub Oak International School. The Security Guard will be required to provide a high level of customer service to the Shrub Oak's students, staff and visitors, provide accurate and detailed reports regarding often sensitive security related incidents and exhibit the ability to quickly handle situations of high urgency at a moment's notice. Having access to confidential information, discretion and independent judgement is required.
- Ensures a safe and secure campus environment by patrolling property via foot, bicycle or vehicle, monitoring surveillance equipment, investigating any suspicious condition, and controlling access points
- Prevents loss or damage to SOIS property by reporting irregularities, informing violators of policy and procedures and detaining trespassers
- Controls and directs vehicular and pedestrian traffic flow on campus and obtains basic information at the scene of motor vehicle accidents on the campus property
- Proactively maintains training certifications as required by SOIS and maintains the organizations stability and reputation by complying with all state, federal and local legal requirements of the position.
- Apprehends, detains and/or arrests perpetrators according to legal protocols before the arrival of authorities. Testifies in court as required in support of the organizational interest in any incident or arrest
- Completes reports by recording observations, information, occurrences and surveillance activities; interviewing witnesses and obtaining signatures
- Conducts investigations and creates incident reports of all incidents involving the security and safety of students, staff and visitors including thefts, threats, break-ins, property damage and injuries on campus within 72 hours of the incident
- Recognizes, secures, photographs and processes evidence to maintain chain of custody requirements
- Operates and monitors all appropriate control panels, video surveillance software, electronic access software, CCTV equipment, alarms and all related security equipment
- Frequently checks fire and security systems for proper operation, with the ability to troubleshoot and correct minor difficulties in accordance with the manufactures instructions
- Acts as first responder to all alarms and serves as the primary contact at incident scenes until relieved by supervisory personnel
- Oversees and provides continuous monitoring of campus property including security inspections of all doors, windows and gates, and established patrol routes.
- Provides escort services to employees, visitors, students and guests as needed and required
- Makes scheduled tours of school and grounds by vehicle or walking to ensure security, and watches for, and escalates as required, conditions that could result in injury or loss; monitors, investigates, documents and resolves actions by visitors, drivers, or employees that could cause injury, loss or liability to school or employee. Maintains contact and is accessible to School Administration, Leadership and Staff via cellular phone, text, email, and/or 2-way radio during regular work hours and responds to all requests for assistance related to safety and security by School staff, parents and other campus visitors
- Collaborates with other Shrub Oak personnel as needed to accomplish organizational objectives
- Provides appropriate security coverage at school functions
- Performs and other related duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and abilities
- High School diploma is required
- A minimum of 60 college credits (preferably in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice or a related subjects), a related degree or relevant experience; or experience working in a similar position i.e., a Sworn Law Enforcement, military or security officer is preferred.
- NYS Security Guard License or completion of the 8-hour pre-employment class- (If valid current NYS Security Guard license is not possessed, upon employment as a Security Guard the successful candidate will have 90 days to complete the 16 hour post-employment classes and apply for the NYS Security Guard License at their own cost unless provided by SOIS. Failure to complete the 16 hour post-employment class and submit the application for NYS Security Guard Licensure within 90 days of employment will be grounds for termination.
- Working knowledge of Shrub Oak organizational policies and procedures including appropriate human resources compliance
- Working knowledge of the methods and techniques used in providing a full range of security, loss prevention and crime prevention services and activities including investigation, identification, patrolling, traffic control, crime prevention, care and custody of persons and property
- Ability to analyze problems, identify solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and select an appropriate solution, often quickly, in support of organizational goals
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, with an ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing to a varied client base (i.e. staff, direct reports, parents, visitors)
- Solid computer skills and excellent knowledge of security-based software systems, fire suppression systems and CCTV systems
- Ability to read complex instructions and operate independently
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills with strong attention to detail, and with an ability to complete all assigned tasks as scheduled
- Must be an independent thinker and problem solver with the ability to adhere to organizational policies and procedures as well as Federal, State and local laws and regulations in the decision-making process.
- Valid Drivers license
The work is regularly performed in a combination of office site buildings and throughout the external grounds. The employee can be exposed to among other things, the outdoor environment, dust, odors, oil and noise
- Workday regularly includes multiple or conflicting demands, deadlines and time pressures; Work regularly requires sustained concentration, considerable physical effort or manual dexterity.
- Sufficient vision (with correction) to read and to observe more distant objects.
- Ability to do considerable walking to include climbing stairs in order to patrol the campus buildings and grounds and conduct inspections.
- Sufficient stamina to stand for 8 hours and to work outside in inclement weather conditions when required.
- Ability to move or run quickly as needed to identify and respond to emergencies.
- May be required to lift/carry/drag up to 180 lbs.
Compensation: Up to $20/hour, commensurate with experience (plus benefits)
Shrub Oak International School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to apply for a job or to perform the essentials functions of his/her job. Please advise us if you require a reasonable accommodation.
Powered by JazzHR