As Vineyard Farming Supervisor, you will be responsible for the day to day completion of tasks on a specific vineyard ranch or group of ranches, including overseeing work crews, tractor driver/equipment operators, ensuring proper safety training and compliance with company safety guidelines, meal and break times, and OSHA rules. In addition, you will provide a safe work environment that is free of harassment; communicate HR & Payroll related issues with employees, supervisors, Human Resources, Payroll and Timekeeping personnel.
- Performs and ensures that performance of all vineyard frost protection, maintenance and troubleshooting of irrigation system, and operation of all vineyard equipment (tractor work, weed control, cultivation, mowing, miscellaneous tractor work.
- Maintain accurate records of all irrigation and frost control.
- Work in conjunction with Vineyard Management to plan for and share manpower resources and day-to-day responsibilities for ranch activities.
- Working with Vineyard Management to schedule and work on special projects (fence repair, tree trimming, erosion control/maintenance, weed eating).
- Monitor and undertake sugar sampling (brix samples) of grapes in designated areas of the vineyards, record, and report results to the Vineyard Management.
- Assists vineyard team to achieve budgetary and wine grape quality goals.
- Leads by example in safety, enforces safety and PPE requirements and standards. Responsible for leading tailgate safety meetings and training. Member of Vineyard Safety and Health Committee. Notification of field spray and chemical application to all crews working on ranch. Complete necessary incident and workers’ compensation paperwork to HR and Safety within given timelines. Conduct monthly safety inspections.
- Maintain vineyard facilities including shop and pesticide/fertilizer areas. Keep areas organized and clean. Pesticide storage areas to be maintained according to California Department of Pesticide Regulations code. Conduct monthly inspections of areas. Maintain accurate daily Pesticide Usage Reports and turn in to manager daily. Record pesticide use in proper manner on ranch chemical usage posting boards daily.
- Coordinate and control harvest activities on ranch.
- Participate in required trainings, team building activities, and other trainings as required.
- On a weekly basis, work in conjunction with Vineyard Management and Ranch Leads to set output standards and schedules for vineyard field work.
- On a weekly basis, work in conjunction with Ranch Leads on timekeeping. Communicate any employee concerns regarding timekeeping and/or payroll to Ranch Leads.
- May perform skilled level traitor tasks such as chopping & mowing, disking, light duty spader/cultivation, spraying/dusting, hedging, harvesting, leaf removal, under vine cultivation, coupling & uncoupling of tractor & equipment.
- BS in Viticulture or equivalent experience.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
- Requires basic reading and writing in English and Spanish, as well as basic math abilities. Basic computer skills in Word, Excel, and Email preferred.
- Thorough understanding of vineyard farming practices and growing cycles. Basic understanding of organic farming practices required.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, assign work in a logical manner to meet productivity and time requirements, ability to make sound decisions and enforce company rules, policies and safety practices.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate to Manager clearly and in a timely manner all concerns regarding work progress, work quality, order of tasks, and employee safety.
- Must be able to work safely around equipment, trucks, work crews and natural landscape such as creeks, rivers, trees, ditches, etc.
- Requires mobility throughout ranch locations and vineyard offices. Primarily will be located outside and exposed to weather conditions (heat, rain, cold, wind, etc.)
- Detail oriented and excellent organizational skills required. Must understand vineyard, equipment, pump, frost, harvest and irrigation processes and related equipment operation.
- Ability to use cellular phone and general office equipment such as copy machine, calculator, telephone, and fax machine is required.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. as needed; ability to drive motor vehicles/trucks/tractors/ ATVs to assigned ranches, work locations and offices; able to work in all weather conditions including but not limited to heat, cold, wet and windy. Ability to walk and perform physical work in vineyards with steep and/or uneven terrain, mud, dust and soft soil. Ability to climb, crawl, squat, kneel, and bend. Sitting, hand/finger dexterity, and working at computer or in an office or shop setting required. Valid CA Driver License and respirator clearance required.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with all levels of employees, company representatives and vendors/contractors. Must be able to communicate directions and ideas in a clear, concise and respectful manner.
- This is a 6-day/10-hour per day position, which includes Saturdays. May require night shift work during various seasons. Requires on-call status for emergency responding.
- Successful completion of respirator medical/fit test is required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Supervisor: 1 year
- customer service: 1 year
Established Winery located in the Wine Country.
Role: Vineyard Supervisor
Apply for this job now.