About the Role
An opportunity has arisen for a solicitor to join our Dispute Resolution team in Bath. The team undertakes a wide range of commercial, civil, and health and social care litigation and regulatory work.
A number of sector groups are represented within the firm's Dispute Resolution team including: technology and media, health and social care and financial services. The team acts for a wide range of clients including a number of household names, has a strong reputation in the region, and is also represented in our Swindon, London and Oxford offices.
The newest team member will be encouraged to take individual responsibility to develop in a challenging environment covering a number of technical disciplines. They will be fully supported by colleagues in a non-hierarchical environment, assisted by close communication between fee earners and support staff. We take a holistic approach to career development so there will be opportunities to develop management and business development skills as well as technical prowess.
We would require the newest team member to deliver a consistently high standard of legal advice and outstanding client service in a commercially astute manner. They would need to be willing to assist with the marketing of the department's services and undertake business development activities to build on the firm and team's reputation for excellence.
Duties will include:
- Manage a caseload of commercial and civil litigation files, under supervision.
- Manage time recording, monitor WIP and billing consistently and ensure bills are settled in accordance with the firm's terms. Meet targets and objectives set in line with the firm's key performance indicators.
- Deal directly with clients to take instructions, provide excellent client service, manage client expectations, and deliver on or above those expectations at all times.
- Work closely with partners and senior lawyers to develop client relationship management skills
- Prepare effectively for and attend to clients' advocacy and negotiating requirements, such as negotiation, mediation and court hearings, ensuring the most appropriate solutions for the client.
- Proactively take responsibility for aspects of business development projects within the team.
- Proactively research and draft articles, blogs, newsletters and assist with the production of marketing materials for the team.
- Take an active part in promoting the firm, the team and the firm's services through social media channels.
- Begin to develop a network of own clients, contacts and potential referrers.
- Spot opportunities to cross sell and build an internal network within the firm for cross referred work.
- Continue to develop and learn in chosen areas of expertise, maintaining an up-to-date understanding of relevant law, policy and practice.
- Attend appropriate networking events and actively promote the team and firm's Dispute Resolution team and act as an ambassador for the firm at all times
Skills & Experience:
- A qualified solicitor between 1-5 years PQE.
- Previous experience within commercial and civil litigation.
- A strong understanding of the Civil Procedure Rules and court practice.
- Self-starter with good technical litigation skills.
- Team player with a desire to carry out/track record in business development.
- A desire to develop supervisory/management skills.
- Expertise in new or existing sectors will be considered a plus.
- Team Player- Actively participates as a member of a team. Develops and maintains relationships with others.
- Positive Attitude to Work- Approaches work with positivity and energy and thrives in a busy environment.
- Effective Communicator- Clearly conveys information and ideas through the relevant media. Speaks in plain English.
- Self Aware- Recognises personal strengths and weaknesses and uses that knowledge to interact positively with others. Maintains a professional impression.
- Resilient- Functions effectively under pressure and handles difficult circumstances in a manner that is acceptable to others and Royds Withy King.
- Open to Change- Receptive to new ways of working with the ability to be flexible in approaching tasks and problems.
We are a progressive Top 100 UK law firm known for our commercial, private client, clinical negligence and personal injury work. We were the winner of the Managing Partners' Forum 'Best Managed Firm' award for 2019.
Our firm employs 520 people with offices in Bath, Oxford, London, Swindon and Marlborough.
At Royds Withy King, people come first. Our brand is built on the ethos of being 'Ahead of the Curve'. By this, we mean always trying to put ourselves in our clients' shoes, looking ahead to the future, anticipating their needs and proposing solutions.
We also pride ourselves on providing a brilliant place to work. We recognise that investing in our people and their career is the only way we can succeed in achieving what is best for our clients. Our friendly, accessible and supportive culture is incredibly important to us and we are continually looking at new ways to nurture and enhance it. Our people tell us that this is a firm with a flat structure, where everyone has a voice and everyone's opinions matter.
Role: Solicitor/Associate - Dispute Resolution
Job Type: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Bath, Somerset, Somerset
Apply for this job now.