Job Title: Python / Django Engineer
Salary Band C (£40k to £60.5k)
About the Role...
As an Engineer, your main focus is project work, working closely with designers, coaches, product leads, and with guidance and mentoring from other members of the Engineering team. You will be assigned a representative from the Engineering team (usually a Team Engineer or Tech Community Lead) to aid your progression and help you move forward with your career at Potato.
You will join one of our friendly, supportive, proactive Agile product teams, you'll be working closely with fellow developers, designers, and other team members. Our teams are self-organising, with the freedom to define their own ways of working.
Most of our products are web-based and use Python on the server, most often Django on Google App Engine (sometimes Firebase, AWS, or Azure). We use a mix of relational and non-relational databases, and other cloud services. We aim to strike a balance between leveraging our existing strengths and exploring new tech. While this listing focusses on Python, we try to avoid silos: our developers are encouraged to contribute to any part of a system they'd like to. We're particularly interested in speaking to applicants with a background in security, or those with a good knowledge of security vulnerabilities and how to prevent them.
- Write idiomatic, performant and maintainable code
- Find creative solutions to technical problems and user needs, whilst also finding opportunities to optimise and simplify software
- Strike the right balance between perfection and delivery
- Work in a friendly, self-organising, cross-functional, Agile product team
- Support other Engineers within the team
- Collaborate closely with other disciplines such as Designers and Product Leads
- Architecting the backend of new projects, or large additions to existing code-bases
We expect developers at Potato to be able to find creative solutions to technical problems and user needs, whilst also finding opportunities to optimise and simplify software. For this role, we're looking for someone capable of supporting, guiding and empowering teams to produce excellent software, striking the right balance between perfection and delivery. Experience with Google App Engine is a plus, but not mandatory.
We're looking for someone who writes great code, but also enjoys collaborating with other disciplines in the product team to devise creative solutions to the users' needs. For this role, you should have an appreciation of the full web stack, as well as an appreciation of current trends in both backend and frontend web technologies.
You Must Have...
- Experience building for the web using Python and Django
- Experience using modern development tools (e.g. Git, GitLab or GitHub etc.) within a development team
- Excellent teamwork, and written and verbal communication skills
- An understanding of security vulnerabilities and how to prevent them
- Experience with backend Python frameworks such as Flask or FastAPI
- Experience launching high-quality digital products
- Experience with Google App Engine or a similar PaaS
- An understanding of both relational and non-relational databases
- Experience creating secure and well-designed APIs
- Experience building for scale: high traffic, big data, large feature sets
- Front-end web or native app development skills
- Knowledge of testing, QA tools and methodologies
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
Role: Python / Django Engineer
Job Type: Permanent
Apply for this job now.