Hydrants R&D Scientist is responsible for the innovation and development of new products to support the growth of the business. They are able to bridge the gap between the food science and business needs, including ingredient price, ingredient trends and regulatory requirements. This role will report to the cofounder and will work closely with the operations team on sourcing, pricing and commercialization of formulas.
- Quickly develop and manage new products from idea/concept through commercialization
- Evaluate and make recommendations concerning the application of new ingredient/processing technologies and equipment
- Apply both culinary and scientific methods throughout the entire product development process
- Iterates on new product concepts to make them hit the perfect balance between price, taste and efficacy.
- Coordinates with marketing and operations departments to collaborate on creating new ideas for product development or improvement.
- Responsible for defining the fundamental design qualities of the product including smell, taste, aroma, color and texture.
- Works as the main driving force of R&D for the company and its product lines.
- Responsible for designing products with shelf life, safety and quality in mind. Screening ingredient suppliers, copackers etc. for adherence to our rigorous standards will be part of the job.
- Manage and lead continuous improvement projects/programs
- Experience working with multiple copackers and multiple formats of products is a plus.
- Sourcing of new or replacement ingredients following the guidelines set forth by the Supply Chain team.
- Own material costing for new products and using the costing models to ensure we are hitting COGS targets.
- Creating Hydrant specifications sheets and managing the specification library.
- Own the formulas for all Hydrant products including the BOMs within our system.
- Label approval and Fact panel creation including formula verification.
- BS in Food Science, Chemistry, or Food Engineering
- 5+ years of experience in beverage product development, prefer some supplement experience too
- Knowledge of a range of sciences and their applications to food
- Knowledge of food safety in the powdered beverage space
- Nutritional and labeling knowledge, including supplement fact panels.
- Knowledge of how to use Genesis for creating nutritional labels is a must.
- Strong excel sheets for quickly being able to compare cost impacts of different ingredient choices.
- Strong level of energy and commitment to an entrepreneurial and fast-paced culture
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods
- Having regulatory experience to ensure all Hydrant products meet guidelines provided by regulating authorities.
- Any international experience is a plus.
- Competitive pay.
- Company-supplemented health insurance coverage (including dental + vision).
- Collaboration opportunities with other top startups.
- A fast-paced environment with a passionate, dedicated team.
- Opportunities to directly work with the co-founders and other senior leadership team members.