Company: ASPEN VALLEY HOSPITAL
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
Company Overview: Embrace the adventure of a career at Aspen Valley Hospital
. Aspen Valley Hospital is a twenty-five-bed community hospital that represents the best of two worlds - the warmth and friendliness of a small town and the technical expertise of a major medical center. Our award-winning hospital, nestled in the heart of Aspen, CO, includes a team of more than 500 people dedicated to making a difference for our patients, families, and community. Nationally we are recognized for providing some of the most exceptional patient care of any hospital across the country.This Position Offers:
Highly competitive pay, 40 hours per week, comprehensive benefits package (including generous PTO, health insurance within your first 30 days, retirement), being part of a very cohesive & supportive team, four of North America's top ski resorts at your doorstep, and much more.Job Overview:
The Recovery Room RN / Same Day Surgery RN (PACU & SDS RN) provides professional nursing care in accordance with known/accepted standards of practice and AVH policy. Utilizes the Nursing Process to assess, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care. The PACU RN Works in support of the medical staff treatment plan and makes recommendations for changes to medical treatment plan as appropriate. The PACU RN educates patients and family around the plan of care and disease management. The PACU RN actively supports the nursing philosophy by striving for excellence in patient care, professional development, interpersonal relations, time management, and continuous quality improvement. The PACU & SDS RN will be an active member of the entire department, with the ability to help in roles outside of surgically specific job duties if needed. The RN will work collaboratively with others within the department to ensure an efficient, professional and respectful environment. The RN will work with other departments as well, in regards to patient safety and communication.Primary Scope of Responsibilities:
Same Day Surgery
- Fully competent in the primary nurse role on unit; performs patient and family assessment and problem identification, plans care accordingly; implements and evaluates plan of care to resolve problems.
- Maintain competency in the care of the medical surgical patient with emphasis on orthopedic and general surgeries.
- Maintain competency in the care of the pediatric patient.
- Maintain competency in the care of the patient requiring telemetry monitoring.
- Provides individualized patient and family education consistent with patient's learning style, readiness to learn and self-care needs.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of patient learning
- Adheres reliably to all accepted patient safety standards
- Identifies and promotes new learning around changing patient safety standards of practice
- Serves in advocacy role; encouraging active involvement of patient and family in their care
- Follows all security, confidentiality, and privacy policies
- Develops professional goals and diversity of responsibilities within nursing practice; consistent with hospital mission and goals
- Demonstrates role awareness and seeks individualized/department specific continuing education that improves patient care or professional practice.
- Able to express nursing values around patient/family centered care and assists others to achieve shared understanding
- Active participant in quality improvement processes
- Identifies need to seek out additional information when needed and apply relevant findings to nursing practice
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own professional decision-making
- Participates and contributes to unit meetings and activities
- Acts as a relief charge nurse when assigned
- The nurse provides nursing care to the pre-operative, phase two and the out-patient perioperative services patient.
- The nurse prepares the patient for surgery including completion of the pre-operative check list, medications as ordered, preps and test so there will be no delays in care. Plans an efficient OR schedule for patients with interdepartmental and intra-departmental services and staff.
- In addition to the normal patient teaching the SDS nurse is responsible for providing comprehensive pre-op, discharge teaching and health counseling. The SDS nurse is responsible for follow up phone calls with additional teaching as necessary.
- All nursing documentation and assessment of the patient is to be carried out in accordance to unit specific and hospital policy in ORM electronic documentation module. It is the responsibility of the SDS nurse to understand the functionality and use of new equipment.
- Maintains competency in Peri-operative procedures, equipment and standards of care according to ASPAN standards and unit specific Policies.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements:
- Researches and coordinates new case-specific equipment and procedures. Then communicates that information to the Director, materials staff and other team members as necessary. Learning the functionality and operation of new equipment is the responsibility of the individual nurse.
- The Nurse will maintain competency and take responsibility for medication administration in accordance with hospital policy. All narcotic discrepancies will be handled in accordance to hospital policy.
- All nursing documentation and assessment of the patient is to be carried out in accordance to unit specific and hospital policy using ORM electronic documentation.
- The Nurse will be responsible for working on Policies and Procedures, Preference Cards and other needed projects as assigned by the Director or Charge Nurse for the department when not engaged in cases.
- The Nurse will responsibly document Charges in both the EMR, as well as when Pulling /Taking supplies for cases through Pyxis.
- The Nurse will show competency with all equipment, systems or procedures that are performed within the Surgical Services Department.
- Assistance with any needed functions within the department. This includes, but is not limited to: Housekeeping Functions, Assisting in Sterile Processing/Instrument Cleaning, Materials Management and Room Stocking, and Floating to other Departments within Surgical Services or the Hospital if needed. These roles will be assigned by the Charge Nurse or Director as needed.
- The Nurse will be dressed in AVH Scrubs at the assigned start of the shift, ready to perform their job duties.
- The RN will communicate clearly with the Charge Nurse, Director and other staff in regards to plans for procedures, patient flow and personal needs.
Benefits & Compensation:
- Current Colorado RN License (or compact)
- Minimum of 2 years of RN experience within PACU is required
- Required certifications through American Heart Association:
- PALS or ENPC
- TNCC within two years of hire
Our hire-in rates of pay are based on years of relevant experience. Listed below are our hire-in rates for the position, which includes: minimum pay (no relevant experience) and mid-point (12 or more years).
Minimum = $31.16/hr
Mid-Point = $40.51/hr
Our comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health insurance within your first 30 days, retirement, and much more can be viewed here