CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER OF UK ATHLETICS
ATHLETICS is the Nation’s number one Olympic and Paralympic sport and one of the world’s few truly global sports, with 200 countries participating at the last World Athletics Championships alone.
UK Athletics (“UKA”) is the National Governing Body for Athletics in the UK.
UKA’s four primary roles are: governance of the sport, staging world class events, securing commercial income to fund the sport and developing athletes and coaches to achieve success on the world stage.
UK Athletics has worked closely with the Home Country Athletic Federations (“HCAFs”) to finalise and agree a new vision for athletics in the UK. This fresh, ambitious, unified vision for the sport covers all areas of activity, including mass participation, athlete pathways, coaching, elite performance, major events and commercial income, whilst putting schools, clubs, coaches and volunteers at its heart.
UKA is now seeking a new Chief Financial Officer to help lead the organisation through the next stage of evolution and development.
As Chief Financial Officer, you will report to the Chief Executive Officer of UKA and be based at the UK Athletics Head Office at Alexander Stadium in Birmingham.
Purpose of the CFO
- To provide the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the company has effective: operational controls and systems; administrative and reporting procedures; and staffing in place to effectively achieve the organisation’s strategies, objectives and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency.
- To be a key member of the UK Athletics (UKA) Board, Senior Leadership Team and deputise for the CEO when required, both internally and externally.
- Overseeing financial operations of the company and business partnering the executives across all areas with particular responsibility for the following functions: Finance & Governance; IT; Facilities, and Health & Safety.
- Ensure operational policies and procedures promote the company values and culture.
Key Responsibilities of the CFO
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management that mirror the strategy mission and core values of the company
- Lead in strategic planning and the corporate governance of UKA
- Contribute to the company’s strategy to achieve and surpass business goals and objectives for sales, profitability and cash flow
- Lead UKA’s compliance with the Code for Sports Governance and UK Sport requirements as they arise
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all operational business processes, including in-house operational software systems
- Provide timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the company to the Board, Board Committees and UK Members Council and key stakeholders/partners
- Support the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes
- Support UKA’s commercial programme through direct contact with major clients and partners as and when required
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company
- Research, identify and implement new initiatives within the operational departments to increase income and cash flow for UK Athletics
- Foster good relations and represent UK Athletics with key stakeholders
- Maintain a working knowledge of required policies and official regulations governing all aspects of the company operations
- Lead and successfully implement business operational change management programmes required to achieve the organisation’s strategies
- Motivate and lead the finance function and direct reports; attract, recruit and retain required members of the team
- Liaise with external organisations providing accurate reporting to fulfil the terms of funding from UK Sport, Sport England, and other bodies which award funding to UKA
- To manage relationships with major grant funders
- To participate in the commercial development of new revenue streams as part of the long-term business planning process
Knowledge & Skills
- A proven Chief Financial Officer/Finance Director in relevant complex organisations, demonstrating the following –
- Successful track record of implementing organisational change to achieve business strategies;
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic senior executive team and external key partners;
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to corporate mission;
- Flexible and able to multitask: can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and business operational systems
- Evidence of ability to consistently make good commercial business decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment
- The ability to balance the delivery of programmes against the realities of budgets
- Problem solving, project management and creative resourcefulness
In terms of other required areas –
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and capable of expressing complex issues in a style that is clear, concise and accurate, with a keen eye for detail
- Clear thinker with resilience and an ability to act strategically as well as, where required, manage closely to ensure operational excellence
- Dedicated with the energy and enthusiasm to motivate others
- Experienced in working under pressure to strict deadlines
- An understanding of the functions of a not for profit or sport’s governing body would be an advantage but is not a requirement
- Detailed knowledge of the financial and regulatory context for companies in the UK
- IT literate with a good working knowledge of Microsoft GP and other reporting tools
- Politically savvy and skilled at stakeholder management
Education / Qualifications –
- Professional accounting qualification: ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent
- Degree level education or equivalent
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
As the largest Olympic and Paralympic Sport, equality, diversity and inclusion is core to UKA’s world-wide appeal, one they are proud to champion at every opportunity.
UKA embraces equality, diversity and inclusion both on and off the field of play where everyone can bring their whole selves to the organisation and we encourage job applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates irrespective of their gender, ethnicity, religion, belief or sexual orientation.
UKA is a Disability Confident Leader and will guarantee an interview to any candidate with disability who meets the minimum job criteria.
If interested in this opportunity please apply to our retained consultancy including your CV and particulars of your current remuneration package and notice period.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SF are only able to respond to successful candidates.
The closing date for applications is 31st January 2020, so if you would like to become their next CFO apply below now.