NATURE OF WORK:
Under limited supervision, performs irrigation at specific job sites. Demonstrates ability to work safely by using proper tools for specific task and all irrigation fieldwork is preformed base on prescribed Jensen standards of landscape irrigation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
• Consistently shows up for work on time at the assigned location. If unable to work, notifies the Supervisor immediately.
• Shows up for work fully dressed in appropriate uniform including Jensen approved footwear.
• Assists with unloading the vehicle and helps loads it for next day of work; maintains vehicle clean and organized.
• May direct/lead the work of 1-2 laborers.
• Reads and understands irrigation plans.
• Repairs all types of pipe including copper and asbestos cement, installs and repairs various sprinkler systems and irrigation valves, and performs main line repairs up to and including 3" pipes.
• Positions sprinklers appropriately and correctly in relation to grade, curbs, walls, and windows.
• Disassembles, trouble shoots, and repairs solenoid operated irrigation control valves. Demonstrates the ability to install a new replacement valve. Demonstrate proper flow control adjustment.
• Turns controllers on and off and manually operates a single station from the controller.
• Checks irrigation programs on the controller and can operate valve electronically by remote and programs irrigation controllers.
• Installs remote harnesses.
• Performs work and uses tools and equipment in a proper and safe manner (drills, jackhammers, trenchers, tampers)
• Accurately fills out and signs the time cards with hours worked at each site/project for each day worked.
• Reports any injury or illness immediately to the Supervisor and to Human Resources.
• Inspects equipment before use to ensure proper and safe operation and reports problems to the Supervisor immediately.
• Reports unsafe work conditions, or practices to the Supervisor immediately.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Duties are performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs. of weight frequently throughout the day.
• Ability to repeatedly bend, stoop, lift, push and pull materials and equipment to complete job tasks.
• Ability to work in various positions including, but not limited to, standing, walking, stooping, bending, sitting, kneeling and squatting for extending periods.
JOB SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of landscape and maintenance techniques methods and tools.
• Pipe - Recognizing and understanding the applications and differences between class and schedule rated PVC pipe.
• Sprinkler and nozzle selection - Demonstrate the ability to select the proper sprinkler nozzle for a given area that is compatible with the equipment in use.
• Irrigation valves - Demonstrate the ability to disassemble, trouble shoot, and repair solenoid operated irrigation control valves. Demonstrate the ability to install a new replacement valve. Demonstrate proper flow control adjustment.
• Controllers - Demonstrate the ability to turn controllers on and off. How to manually operate a single station from the controller. Use a Rain Master remote control unit.
• Power tools and equipment - Demonstrate the ability to safely and properly use drills, jackhammers, trenchers, and tampers.
• Understands the basics of distribution uniformity.
• Understand the basics of pipe sizing, G.P.M. flow rates, and velocity
• Understand hydrozone issues sun/shade, plant, slope, soil structure.
• Understand and recognize types of soil and field capacity.
• Ability to follow verbal instructions from foremen, supervisor and management.
• Ability to work with and assist crew members.
• Ability to deal courteously with the public.
2-4 years experience in irrigation; or any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience providing the knowledge, abilities, and skills cited above. Valid California Driver License with a clean DMV record is required. Ability to communicate in English or must enroll in an ESL course.
SKILLS NEEDED FOR ADVANCEMENT:
• Proficiency of all Irrigation II skills, knowledge, and equipment use.
• Ability to communicate using basic English.
• Intermediate understanding of sprinkler positioning and adjustments.
• Recognition and understanding of the basic signs of plant stress.
• Maintain valid driver's license and have an acceptable driving record.
• APPLICATION SUBMITTAL INSTRUCTIONS:
• In person at:1983 Concourse Drive, San Jose, CA 95131
Jensen is an equal opportunity employer. Jensen does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above is a general outline of responsibilities of this position, it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for this position. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time, at the Company's sole and absolute discretion with or without prior notice.
Jensen Landscape Company has been one of the leading providers of landscape construction and maintenance services in Northern California, for over forty-seven years. Jensen offers a full-time, year-round position.
Role: Irrigation Technician
Location: San Ramon,
Apply for this job now.