JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting the medical provider with patient care including obtaining history and chief complaint; assisting with biopsies and select surgery procedures. Other responsibilities include patient education on treatment plans and medication, nursing procedures, such as suture removal, dressing changes, Allergan patch testing, and completion of pathology and lab requisition documents. Required to travel to different offices based on scheduling and need.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1 year experience in a medical office setting
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Ability to type and operate a PC
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Hepatitis B Vaccination in process, completed, or declination required
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
- Outstanding listening skills and ability to empathize with others.
- Appropriate sense of discretion in dealing with varied and difficult situations.
- Ability to convey a positive attitude in all dealings with others, whether patients or staff members.
- Exceptional personal organizational skills.
- Attentive to detail.
- Escorts patients to exam rooms in order of appointment times. Obtains history as required by patient’s chief complaint.
- Obtains or updates medication list
- Sets up exam room according to scheduled procedure and/or anticipate medical provider needs if procedure is likely.
- Assists medical provider with biopsies and surgical procedures such as excisions, ED&C, cryotherapy, laser surgery, etc.
- Educates patient as required after medical provider establishes the treatment plan. Ensures that the patient understands the treatment plan and the proper use of their medications, and understands their responsibility for compliance with the treatment plan prior to leaving the office.
- Gives injections per medical provider(s) instructions
- Performs nursing procedures such as suture removal, dressing changes, Allergan patch testing, and chemical wart therapy, without direct medical provider supervision.
- Completely and correctly fills out all required pathology and laboratory requisition documents for patients as required by medical provider. Provides clinical staff with all completed documents for data entry into the biopsy log book.
- Other duties and assignments as deemed necessary.
- Responsible for performing basic laboratory procedures and maintaining the laboratory
- Performs appropriate diagnostic laboratory procedures under medical provider’s supervision including specimen collection, preparation of laboratory requisition forms, logging, etc.
- Report laboratory findings to the medical provider(s)
- Report laboratory findings to the patient per medical provider’s instructions
- Schedule patients for appropriate procedures with outside labs
- Prepares and maintains laboratory for patient care (including stocking supplies, organizing shelves and drawers, daily cleaning of counters and lab equipment)
- Responsible for keeping updated on all pertinent areas which affect the laboratory
- Assist in general housekeeping duties including weekly “scrub-down” of all patient treatment rooms, laboratory, etc.
- Stocks all exam rooms.
- Sterilizes surgical instruments using appropriate method, e.g. steam, chemical, ultrasound, etc.
- Stocks all treatment rooms
- Charts in medical records as appropriate.
- Calls in prescription orders per medical provider(s) instruction.
- Notifies clinical supervisor of supplies needed to avoid shortages.
- Responsible for filing as requested by the medical provider(s).
- Responsible for calling patients after surgery to monitor convalescence.
- Responsible for assuring waste is disposed according to OSHA guidelines.
- Performs other duties and assignments as deemed necessary and appropriate
This position does expose employee to potential risk of chemicals and bloodborne pathogens & you are required to be familiar with and abide by all OSHA and State guidelines related to these risks. You are required to present a record of Hepatitis B vaccination.
Over 25 Years of Excellence
Since 1988, Bay Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery has offered our patients the highest quality care for advanced treatment of all skin, hair and nail disorders. Our Board Certified dermatologists specialize in diseases of the skin, skin cancer, psoriasis therapy, and ultraviolet light therapy as well as a variety of cosmetic procedures. All of our procedures are performed with the utmost care and we take great pride in the personal, one-on-one attention we give to our patients.
Located in Port Richey, Wesley Chapel, Lutz, Wesley Chapel, Largo, Spring Hill, St. Petersburg, Palm Harbor and Homosassa, Bay Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery is the only practice of its kind serving all of Pasco, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Hernando and Citrus Counties.
We are seeking dedicated, professional, and friendly candidates who are looking for a rewarding and stable career.
Role: Medical Assistant- Experienced
Location: Spring Hill,
Apply for this job now.