The Patent Services Assistant will provide support to the attorneys and/or patent agents while assisting the IP Practice Section to function in a consistent productive manner; is responsive and ensures that all documents received from clients, foreign agents, official U.S. Patent and Trademark Office “USPTO” documents and other government agencies have been responded to timely, accurately, and all other day to day responsibilities are being met under established policies and procedures while exercising discretion and confidentiality in maintaining contact with clients, attorneys and staff. This position has an annual billable hour requirement of 750.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure that policies and procedures are being followed on a day to day basis in relation to assigned duties and in accordance with established firm guidelines;
· Clears daily docket in accordance with established firm guidelines and notify the docket department of any inaccuracies;
· Reviews attorneys’ client information and ensures that addresses, special instructions, including billing requirements are being followed in accordance with the clients’ standard operating procedures;
· Responds to inquiries from clients, attorney and other firm personnel;
· Records billable and non-billable hours worked in the firm’s time entry database;
· Responsible for maintaining and prioritizing work daily and communicate if unable to meet daily responsibilities;
· Assists with preparing a variety of routine correspondence such as client reporting letters, reminders, reports and other patent-specific documents required by attorneys or other professional specialists;
· Receives and acts upon client instructions, including confirmation, acknowledgement of instructions and/or draft response to client inquiries related to prosecution of domestic applications;
· Assist with preparing and electronically filing various documents with the USPTO;
· Responsible for communicating and working with attorneys and other team members regarding all aspects of inbound and outbound patent prosecution work;
· Provides back-up support to other team members as needed;
· Utilizes USPTO and other related government agency electronic resources effectively;
· Reads, sorts and associates incoming mail (faxes, email and postal mail) with specific client matter numbers and ensures that all incoming and outgoing mail is being saved into the firm’s document management system within one (1) business day of receipt;
· Responsible for organizing and providing follow-up to meet deadlines by working closely with the attorney and/or client teams or other members working on a client specific matter;
· Creates and maintains electronic worksheets as needed for clients or as instructed by an attorney or the IP Practice Manager;
· Searches appropriate databases for patent and trademark technical literature, as necessary; and
· Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· Possess a strong attention to detail and accuracy.
· Possess strong oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with attorneys.
· Ability to read and comprehend materials involving legal and technical matters.
· Ability to work well independently and with others to accomplish goals.
· Ability to compose, proofread and edit (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) routine memorandums and correspondence, including emails.
· Identify and respond to internal and external client inquiries in a timely manner and seek feedback/follow-up as appropriate.
· Willingness to seek out and accept new responsibilities; including development opportunities to enhance skills.
· Take ownership of assigned work responsibilities through completion.
· Demonstrate a keen sensitivity to urgent attorney requests and strong organizational skills.
· Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality in maintaining firm and client information.
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
· Minimum three (3) years of patent prosecution experience required.
· Proficiency in MS Office Suite.
· Flexibility to work additional hours as necessary.
Top ranked national law firm.
Role: Patent Paralegal
Apply for this job now.