Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire directly, but we do have an approved supplier list for when we’d like a helping hand. We’ll be in touch if we need you.
As a key member of the pre-construction team, the cost planner role is instrumental in securing new work for Galliford Try through our various framework agreements.
Our involvement in frameworks ranging from Southern Construction Framework, Education Skills Funding Agency, P22 to Ministry of Defence requires a rounded cost-planner who is able to adapt to the requirements of individual frameworks, and provide high-quality and accurate cost plans and cost plan reviews where necessary. Alongside this, thorough technical reviews will allow identification of key risks and opportunities for Value Engineering. The nature of our pre-construction team also dictates that the cost planner will need to have input into qualitative tender answers as well as leading the bid team in certain circumstances.
Split between cost planning and estimating is 90:10 respectively.
Beyond the tender process, the cost planner will continue to provide support to projects in preferred bidder stage, retaining responsibility for cost plan updates and liaising with client representatives as necessary.
Commercial & Financial
• Prepare accurate and competitive cost plans and estimates
• Lead / participate in the Value Engineering process
• Produce accurate net estimates in accordance with client’s standards to win work when required
• Gather / develop accurate benchmark and out-turn cost data to utilise and interpret on future projects
• Obtain the most competitive quotes by understanding current market trends
• Support the bid team to achieve deadlines
• Identify and report on risk and opportunity / scope
• Assess tender documentation, requirements and report findings to team
• Ensure risk register is applied and monitored
• Contribute / develop tender strategy and continuously monitor
• Involvement in the adjudication process, leading the cost plan process.
• Prepare submission documents
• Contribute / develop and deliver the tender strategy / Win Plan.
• Ensure all supplementary information is in place
• Build effective relationships to establish two way dialogue with customers and suppliers
• Identify the customer and understand their needs
• Seek to establish professional trust and mutual respect with customers and suppliers
• Endeavour to maintain relationships into the future with customers and suppliers
• Attend post tender negotiation with a view to taking the responsibilities
• Awareness of current health and safety requirements and changes
• Influence and support team members to innovate and achieve optimum solutions
• Effectively communicate bid strategy and solutions to construction team
• Influence and support suppliers to innovate and achieve optimum solutions
• Obtain feedback from construction team and utilise for tender purposes
• Seek opportunities to learn about changes and innovations in the industry
• Ensure own skill base is developed
• Remain aware of current industry trends and cost movements
• Contribute to delivery of the business unit ‘Pathway to Great’ KPI’s
• Continued proactive behaviours around GT’s no.1 business improvement strategy delivering excellence
• Liaise with bid teams to ensure knowledge sharing and best practice
• Utilise expertise and build relationships with our aligned supply chain partners in support of our ‘Advantage through alignment’ business improvement strategy
Experience and Qualifications:
• Ability to work in a team environment contributing across a business unit or area
• Good management skills with the ability to motivate team members to achieve high standards of compliance
• Excellent organisational, planning and time management skills; able to manage projects simultaneously without compromising on standards and quality
• Sound knowledge of the construction industry
• Ability to ensure standards and specifications are met
• Ability to work with senior management to set project and operational targets
• Excellent negotiation and diplomacy skills and the ability to make a sound business case to senior stakeholders
• Confident and professional tender interview / presentation abilities
We offer an opportunity to work on some of the UKs most exciting construction projects, in a fast-paced environment where each day brings new challenges. We also offer a competitive salary and benefits package and we will always consider flexible working hours and arrangements .
With an ambitious strategy, we’re poised for further growth and success, so if you’re committed, talented and enthusiastic, Galliford Try is the right place for you.
We are one of the UK’s leading housebuilding and construction groups. For 100 years, Galliford Try has helped to shape the world around us and today we are at the forefront of the construction industry with approximately 5,550 employees working on a huge range of housebuilding and construction projects. As a FTSE 250 listed UK business, our focus is on delivering first class business solutions and building long-term relationships with our customers, employees, supply chain and communities we work in. Our involvement in some of the UK's most high profile and innovative projects ensures our employees benefit from unrivalled opportunities and career progression.
As a major UK contractor our Construction Division has a diversified workload in the public, regulated and private sectors. The Division boasts a strong reputation for providing whole-life solutions, high standards of project delivery, and an ability to innovate. It predominately operates under either the Galliford Try or the Morrison Construction brands, and is organised into five key segments: Building, Infrastructure, Facilities Management, Investments and Integrated Solutions.
The Building Division works across health, education, defense and commercial markets, with a well-balanced spread of both public and private sector clients. Our extensive experience and expertise in building projects enables us to understand our clients’ construction needs and deliver solutions that surpass their expectations.
Galliford Try is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community
Role: Cost Planner - Galliford Try
Location: , England, United Kingdom
Apply for this job now.