· Monitor, maintain, and operate z/OS Mainframe system performance and peripherals. Working knowledge in hardware and operating software concepts of data processing in an IBM z/OS environment.
· Monitors computer and network systems using operating systems utilities; interprets console messages from system software or applications program, and performs required actions.
· Determines existence of problems and production issues and escalates issues as necessary to ensure that they are resolved in a timely, accurate manner. Monitor the z/114 system console for messages, and machine utilization
· Reply to console requests for information
· Change initiators and job classes to increase work flow when requested
· Interrupt jobs to change priorities or abort processing as needed as requested
· Respond to the Mainframe & STK Automated Tape Library system requests for information
· Reply to system requests for tape mounts and ejects
· Perform system IPL’s to implement system changes, updates, clock changes, etc.
· Perform weekly system IPL.
· Diagnose the Mainframe system errors and assists in their correction.
· Review system console logs for error messages.
· Insure critical problems requiring immediate resolution are acknowledged within 30 minutes, contact, and escalate to responsible party if critical problems are not addressed.
· Works with shift manager and other lead shift individuals, Technical Support, Production Control, Systems Support, Open Systems and clientele to provide quality computer services.
· Monitoring and escalation includes all Mainframe and Open Systems Applications.
· Identify equipment problems and initiate corrective action, keeping required logs and system records according to departmental procedures.
· Opening Remedy tickets for all production and non-production issues and non-standard events.
· Escort vendor in / out of data center. Follow Data Center sign and sign out procedures.
· Receive and sign off equipment / parts / packages for computer room.
· Arrange data center access for vendor during off hours.
· Check emergency door alarm panels to insure no alarm status.
· Responsible for monitoring air conditioning, water alarm, fire alarm, and other data center equipment Escalates any issues as necessary.
· Insure proper cooling of the data center and print rooms.
· Perform walk through for all data center space before and after your shift to ensure proper operational environment.
· Eject and process daily off-site backup tapes.
· Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
· Demonstrate experience working with IBM mainframe computer running under Z/OS and JES2 required. Ability to operate mainframe attached tape drives and printers.
· Working knowledge in hardware and operating software concepts of data processing in an IBM z/OS environment.
· Accurate, organized, self-starter with high level of initiative, effective analytical, problem solving and communication skills.
· Working knowledge of PC’s.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Excel under pressure and adhere to tight schedules and time constraints.
· Demonstrated ability to independently make sound judgment; analyze and take action on critical matters.
· Will be required to assist in coverage for first shift, second shift and third shift operations during staff turnover, FMLA or other events as deemed necessary by management. Must be a flexible team player.
· Ability to lift equipment and boxes weighing in excess of 25 to 50 pounds.
Role: Computer Operator - IBM
Apply for this job now.