Company: STERLING ENGINEERING
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
This mechanical engineering role is responsible for leading innovation projects and participating in the design and development of cordless and pneumatic power fastening tools primarily used for wood and concrete applications. The candidate will contribute to setting project team priorities and engage in product design activity aimed at meeting defined schedule, marketing and manufacturing requirements by applying engineering expertise, technical creativity and problem solving skills. Responsibilities:
Technical Capability Requirements:
- Provides technical leadership for product development teams and utilizes project management skills to define and manage resources and execute to achieve required outcomes.
- Collaborate with marketing, purchasing, manufacturing and other departments to construct project scope and determine costs and manufacturing feasibility.
- Initiate concept designs based on customer feedback, communicate those designs to other team members and develop those designs on 3D CAD. Utilize feedback from team members and external customers to adapt and improve product design to meet development objectives.
- Perform critical analysis on design (DFMEA, Design of Experiments).
- Communicate design requirements to other team members and evaluate designs to ensure project trajectory is consistent with product specifications.
- Responsible for all aspects of the design, layout (design integration), evaluation and documentation of electro-mechanical devices or system used on power fastening systems.
- Manage the production of prototypes, test units and subsequent manufacturing and testing to meet quality standards and planned schedules for delivery within target cost parameters.
- Recommend, implement and track performance of design modifications to eliminate product or system malfunctions.
- Select and implement appropriate manufacturing processes and vendors to ensure cost-effective, robust products that achieve market success.
- At this level, assignments can be complex and will require use of initiative and judgment.
- 3D CAD design experience (prefer Pro/Engineer CREO-4)
- Finite Element Analysis, Statics & Dynamics
- Experience in Matlab /numerical computing tools preferred but not must.
- Critical Problem-Solving Skills
- Strength of materials (metallurgy), heat treatment, coatings.
- Exposure to manufacturing processes that may include, plastic injection, stamping, aluminum casting, machining, MIM.
- BS in Mechanical / Mechatronics Engineering (Master's Preferred).
- 8+ years of relevant product design and development experience required.
- Demonstrated design capability, problem solving skills and the ability to understand and troubleshoot electro-mechanical equipment.
- Exposure of project management and technical leadership is a plus.
- Domestic and International travel: 10-15%