AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine.
We enjoy what we do in bringing projects to life in the cities and communities in which we work. We are driven by a design ethos, a set of values and a common purpose to create, enhance and sustain the world's built, natural and social environments. Innovation is built into every project we manage and community we serve.
We enjoy an exceptional team approach and our architectural staff work closely with in-house engineers and other professionals to develop award winning integrated projects which address urban and climate changes. About AECOM's Design Discipline and its Architecture Practice:
The Design Discipline provides a key lead, design focused, function within AECOM's Buildings and Places business. The discipline includes architects and architectural technologists, interior designers, landscape architects and urban designers. It leads multi-disciplinary project work and focuses on the design of innovative projects worldwide, which incorporate systems and processes at the cutting edge of emergent technologies.
It's Manchester team operates in the Local Government, Air, Rail, Industrial, Power generation, Energy efficiency, and Data centre sectors. Clients include Amazon, BMW, DHL, Dyson Technologies, GE, Manchester Airport Group, Rolls Royce, Salford University, Shell and UPS.
The Practice is proud of its high quality work, is fully BIM enabled and produces high quality visualizations.
Forward workload is very buoyant and growing with several large frameworks and projects recently won. The Practice is therefore recruiting exceptional and ambitious Graduate Architectural Assistants to join its busy Manchester design studio.
Examples of the types of projects the team are involved in include:
All Interested candidates must provide PDF versions of their current work portfolio with their application Job responsibilities
- HMRC India Buildings, Liverpool - 2019 -Technical Advisor for the CAT A & CATB refurbishment of this 10 storey Grade 2 listed building in the heart of Liverpool, to provide office accommodation for the HMRC. Supported at ground floor level by retail spaces, along the grand arcade and a public hub within the Regency suite the development focuses on the government's aspirations for inclusive design and the provision of high-quality office and public presentation spaces. Attending monthly site meetings and quality inspections, as well as working with the HMRC, Heritage Planner and contractors to ensure all parties are working together in both respecting the original building whilst also satisfying the HMRC requirements.
- HMRC Birmingham - 2019 - Technical Advisor for the CAT A on site monitoring and CAT B fit out of this 12 storey New Build office development for the HMRC.
- HMP Long Lartin, Night San - On behalf of the MoJ, Optioneering study to review the options for replacement of the existing system or reconfiguration of the House block accommodation to incorporate in cell sanitation. Involving site inspections and check dimension surveys, GA layout proposals and builders scope of work to inform outline costings.
- Multiple Residential Refurbishment and expansion projects - On behalf of the NPS, we are looking the develop RIBA Stage 3 multidiscipline design proposals for the expansion and conversion of existing housing stock to become Inclusive facilities and increase capacity. The work involves the undertaking of visual dilapidation surveys, drafting of existing and proposed GA information in REVIT, the generation of risk registers and an end of stage report.
- Car Manufacturing Facility - Concept design proposals for a car manufacturing plant in Singapore including staff and office accommodation, in addition to the main manufacturing plant and paint shop. We are working with the client to refine the brief to link the design with the available budget and land availability. Developing 3D design proposals and visuals.
- Multiple Projects for Manchester Airport Group - We are currently involved in a range of projects for the Manchester Airport Group including a new multi-storey Car park, landside-airside gatehouses, baggage scanning accommodation, a shuttle bus driver rest facility and refurbishment of the existing T3 toilet accommodation.
- UPS - Airside Logistics Hub, East midlands Airport - Currently on site, this project has required us to undertake the technical design for the facility and be involved in the on-site monitoring, site meetings as well as reviewing the other discipline and manufacturers proposals and responding to on site queries.
- Network Rail York Holgate - Roof refurbishment and drainage improvements works, looking at the technical construction of the existing facility and compiling details and phasing proposal for the roof refurbishment.
As a Graduate Architectural Assistant you will work with senior members of our teams on a range of projects at all stages of the design and construction process. From day one, you will be involved in some important and challenging projects. Every day will be different, and you will be required to use your skills and knowledge to help solve problems and provide input into our projects. You will work in a team to provide technical solutions, and your day could involve anything from helping to produce designs, specifications and calculations, to assisting in technical reports, travelling to construction sites or attending client meetings. Core responsibilities:
- Assisting in the preparation of conceptual design work and the presentation of projects.
- Supporting the design development of project proposals and feasibility studies.
- Supporting the technical delivery and implementation of projects including preparing working drawings and specifications.
- BA, B.Arch or equivalent graduate architectural qualification. Minimum 2:1 or equivalent
- Good spatial and technical ability with good analytical and organizational skills.
- Good hand drawing and computer graphic skills.
- Knowledge of Autodesk Revit, In-Design and the full MS suite of programmes.
- Right to work in the UK
- Good 3D computer skills will be an advantage.
- Interest in all aspects of architecture and construction technology from concept to detail design.
- Ambitious, energetic and hard-working. Highly motivated with good communication skills.
- Previous work experience in an architectural practice.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution - where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK & Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure. Downloads
aecom_ireland_graduate_brochure_2019-20.pdf Ireland Graduate Brochure
aecom_uki_graduate_brochure_2019-20.pdf UK Graduate Brochure
Role: Graduate Architectural Assistant ( Part 1) - Year Out Placement
Job Type: Placement, Permanent, Full Time
Apply for this job now.