What we’ll give:
APPRENTICE COMMIS CHEF
SALARY: £11.75 per hour
LOCATION: Kempton Park Racecourse, Staines Road East, Sunbury on Thames, Surrey. TW16 5AQ
REPORTING TO: Cheryl Hall
HOURS/WORKING PATTERN: 40 hours per week (5 out of 7 days)
DURATION: Minimum 12 months
Do you have a real passion for cooking and would love a career as a Chef? Would you like to earn whilst you learn?
Well now is the time, as we have a very exciting opportunity for an Apprentice Commis Chef to join our team at Kempton Park Racecourse, Surrey.
You do not need to have any experience as full training will be provided as part of the Apprenticeship. This is ideal for a school leaver or someone wanting a career change. Apprenticeships are for everyone regardless of age!
Over a 12-15 month period you will be trained to become a fully Qualified Commis Chef.
More about the role:
WHAT IS AN APPRENTICESHIP?
An apprenticeship is a funded programme where an individual learns new skills, knowledge and behaviours in a chosen sector. An apprenticeship will enable you to work and earn a wage whilst developing and gaining new skills as an employee.
Alongside your day to day duties, you will complete the Commis Chef Level 2 Apprenticeship. This is a nationally recognised qualification and the primary objective of the Commis Chef is to learn and understand how to carry out the basic functions in every section of the kitchen. You will be supported through this qualification by your Personal Development Coach who will visit you at your place work every 6-10 weeks. You will also attend a minimum of 6 workshops including an Introduction day at a location outside your normal place of work. All travel expenses will be covered by your employer. You are not expected to complete any of your Apprenticeship work outside of your normal working hours and will be given set time each week to complete your work.
Who you are:
What you''ll be doing:
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Proactive, can do attitude
- Engaging, flexible and friendly in manner.
- Good communication skills, including tact and diplomacy.
- Able to travel to and from venue and willing to support sister venues Epsom Downs and Sandown Park Racecourses as required.
- Current basic food hygiene certificate.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to take direction, and to work towards and meet deadlines
- Ability to remain calm during periods of high volume or unusual events, whilst remaining driven to complete your tasks.
Based in our busy kitchen at Kempton Park Racecourse, duties would be varied. You will assist the other chefs whilst working in a team producing good quality food. Tasks could include, but not limited to:
- To prepare and cook menu items as directed by the Sous / Head Chef.
- To assist with stock taking when required.
- To assist in the development and planning of menus, including future food trends, and to be passionate about developing new styles of service and concepts in the location.To ensure that customers are given a prompt and efficient service and expectations are consistently exceeded.
- To be customer focused at all times, approachable and quick to exceed expectations in fulfilling customer needs.
- To be a team player, assisting other team members when necessary.
- To treat members of the team at location as you would expect to be treated.
- Assist with stock, deliveries and waste management, checking and recording in line with company policies.
- To gain an understanding of food costing, sales mix and menu planning.
- To take responsibility for contributing towards your own development with the guidance of the Head Chef and attend training courses as identified.
- To show commitment to company values in all aspects of your role.
- To act as a positive ambassador for the business.
There is no supervision of other staff.