Department: Development and Communications
Supervisor: Associate Director of Development and Communications
FLSA: Full Time/Exempt/Salary $70K-$74K
Benefits: Health and Dental, Life/LTD/AD 22PTO DAYS; 9 Paid Holidays
Voluntary Benefits: Vision, Retirement Match Program. AFLAC Salary Protection Programs; Commuter Benefits
Since 1974, Samaritan House has grown to become San Mateo County’s leading non-profit that brings a new level of hope, dignity, and empowerment to people living in poverty as they fulfill immediate needs and guide people to self-reliance. Recognized as a role model in the community, Samaritan House is the largest food distribution agency in the county. Its other free services include shelter and housing assistance; medical and dental clinics; clothes for children; personalized case management and much more. We do this with the help of an excellent team of dedicated staff and volunteers. People who come to Samaritan house are welcomed with a smile by friendly, helpful staff, which quickly builds trust and breaks down the stigma associated with being in need. They also discover that Samaritan House takes a holistic approach to poverty that goes beyond food, shelter and clothing. Serving a client is not a single transaction but the start of an on-going relationship to move individuals and families towards self-reliance. At Samaritan House we strive for excellence and leverage community resources to find and implement creative solutions for our community’s needs. We believe in providing our team with supportive work environments and opportunities for development. We offer excellent opportunities for individuals with proven strong, creative, results-driven leadership skills and excellent work ethics. We welcome candidates who love working with people of diverse backgrounds who seek to make a difference by helping us create a caring compassionate community helping our neighbors in need.
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director or Development and Communications, This position will manage Samaritan House’s LiveImpact donor database, assures all gifts are recorded and acknowledged in a timely fashion, extracts data, maintains data integrity, performs data analysis, creates gift and constituent reports, project manages fundraising and donor engagement events and supervises the Development Associate.
Preferred job requirements and qualifications for the position are as follows:
Education and Licenses- - Bachelor's degree in business, nonprofit management or similar field preferred. Equivalent management experience in a nonprofit Development position may substitute for some college.
• Minimum two years of general office work within a Development/Fund Raising operation in a non profit organization REQUIRED!
• Minimum two years of experience working with relational or other donor database applications for a formal fund raising department
• High proficiency in managing development database software in a formal fund raising department.
• Expert fundraising event management for a non profit organization with an over $1M organizational budget.
• High proficiency with computer software programs including Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, and Windows).
• Demonstrated knowledge of general accounting principles and data analysis.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience with the supervision, management, and training of others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities-
• Strong interpersonal, relationship building skills required. Ability to create and maintain excellent relationships with all constituents of various backgrounds, skills and personalities; excellent customer service.
• Candidate must have excellent communication skills with constituents with diverse experiences including staff, volunteers, etc. Must possess strong business acumen and must be articulate.
• Must demonstrate the ability to have professional boundaries in working with all constituents.
• Strong problem-solving skills required; Ability to identify and resolve issues proactively. Must be solution-focused and structured in achieving objectives with all as well as able to positively manage, motivate and organize self and others to complete work.
• Ability to work in a fast paced work environment and successfully maintain grace and professionalism under pressure. Ability to work independently and within teams, strong initiative.
• Ability to exercise appropriate timely judgment, discretion and decision making at all times. Maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the work environment; ability to explain reasoning and conduct business within agency values and professionalism; Established ability to exercise all business with high integrity and ethics.
• Excellent organizational, multi-tasking and prioritization skills required. Excellent ability to be highly accurate and have strong attention to detail. Ability to accommodate unexpected work or deadlines with grace.
• Ability to adapt to changes swiftly and successfully and respond to delays or unexpected events in the work environment; ability to manage competing demands and prioritize tasks; ability to change approach or method as needed.
• Ability to occasionally work a flexible schedule based on program needs, including evenings,weekends and holidays if needed.
• Candidate must be able to travel between the Agency’s various sites; valid driver’s license, good driving record and a registered and insured vehicle required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
Fund Raising Donor Services/Gift Management
• Manage the gift entry and donor acknowledgement processes; ensure best practices are followed for the timely and accurate process of contributions.
• Provide oversight and ensure that acknowledgment letters and other correspondence are delivered in a timely manner.
• Coordinate and produce mailing lists, including for three print newsletters, spring and year-end appeal letters, acquisition mailings, annual reports, monthly e-blasts, event invitations and special in-house projects.
• Export database gift batches and collaborate with Finance staff to ensure that all gift revenues are properly recorded;
• Provide monthly and year-end gift reconciliation; Assist with donor and gift inquiries during the annual audit process.
• Manage the addition of fund and appeal codes as needed, in collaboration with the Development Director and the finance department.
• Develop written procedures for best practices, protocols and guidelines for development department processes and ensure proper adherence.
• Provide prospect and donor research and analysis. Support Department in managing donor engagement, moves management, and stewardship programs.
Fund Raising Database Management
• Directs the maintenance and operation of the LiveImpact database, including managing the database security, documenting existing procedures, and making recommendations to improve operational effectiveness.
• Develop and maintain efficient systems for data cleansing, data entry, gift processing, prospect research and relationship management.
• Monitors the integrity of all the information contained in the database. Periodically audits data for consistency and accuracy.
• Establishes and maintains a structure within the database to effectively identify specific segments of data for various analysis and targeted marketing efforts for Annual Fund support.
• Provide complex reporting and analysis; Build and run reports, pipelines, moves management processes. Extract, export, analyze and validate data; Present data and information in various formats (Excel, PDF, Word, etc) for Board of Directors, committees of the Board, Board communications and Executive leadership.
• Maintain all contact, relationship and gift data updated in LiveImpact database.
• Assist in enhancing effectiveness and utility of the LiveImpact database and the LiveImpact user experience. Train Development Team in basics of LiveImpact: data entry, basic reports, activities, events, pipelines, etc.
• Work with Directors of Volunteers and Development to develop an effective data maintenance, user access and security of donor/volunteer information in LiveImpact.
Formal Fund Raising Event Management
• Project manage fundraising events and serve as primary point of contact; Plan and execute meetings and events in coordination with the development team, inter-departmental teams, outside committees and sub-committees.
• Manage all event logistics from concept to clean-up (venue, entertainment, staffing, event timeline and schedule, etc); develop systems to monitor, track and report efficiency measures across all aspects of the event.
• Manage all third party event and payment solutions.
• Develop working relationships with vendors and community partners to establish price and service agreements that enhance the event experience, increase revenue opportunities and reduce costs.
• Work with Volunteer Department to coordinate event staffing and training.
• Serve as event concierge to ticket buyers; facilitate sponsorship payments, pledges, donations, auction donations, etc.
• In partnership with Development Team, work with Public Relations and Communications Manager to develop and produce event collateral: Save the Date, Invitation, Event Program, Signage, etc.
• Produce reports: financial, expense, participant, budget, sponsorship, etc.
• Work with Director of Development to create and manage event budget.
• Project manage other Development Department events as needed, Major Donor cultivation events and other special events.
• Oversee logistics, communications and vendor relations.
• Communicate with the Board, Advisory Council, executive leadership, donors, staff and other departments; provide excellent customer service.
• Develop and maintain successful relationships with volunteers assisting in the Development Department; supervise volunteer activities as needed.
• Participate in special events and general Development activities.
• Supervise, Evaluate, Develop and Guide the Development Associate. Ensure proactive systems in place to support Development Associate’s work is accomplished timely and within deadlines.
• Assist Development department with administrative duties as needed.
• Assist with the coordination of Board supported activities and administration.
• Maintain postage accounts for bulk mailing and office postage.
• Assist other agency activities and special events where needed.
• Order office supplies as needed.
• Attend all assigned meetings and trainings as needed and positively represent Samaritan House in all internal and external venues. Ensure staff does the same.
• Represent Samaritan House both internal and external to the agency as needed in a positive manner.
• Ensure safe work environments for all and complete all incident reports within 24 hours or immediately. Ensure staff does the same.
• All other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY
Samaritan House is an equal opportunity employer. Because of the volume of applications Samaritan House receives, we regret we are not able to respond to every applicant individually. If your skills and experience are a good match for this position, we will contact you for an interview. Interested candidates should direct a cover letter and résumé to:
Attn: Director of Human Resources
4031 Pacific Blvd.
San Mateo, CA 94403
Via e-mail: reply to posting
Via facsimile: (650) 294-4336
No phone calls, please!
The Story of Samaritan House
Since 1974, Samaritan House has grown to become San Mateo County's leading non-profit that brings a new level of hope, dignity, and empowerment to people living in poverty as they fulfill immediate needs and guide people to self-reliance. Recognized as a role model in the community, Samaritan House is the largest food distribution agency in the county. Its other free services include shelter and housing assistance; medical and dental clinics; clothes for children; personalized case management and much more. We do this with the help of an excellent team of dedicated staff and volunteers. People who come to Samaritan house are welcomed with a smile by friendly, helpful staff, which quickly builds trust and breaks down the stigma associated with being in need. They also discover that Samaritan House takes a holistic approach to poverty that goes beyond food, shelter and clothing. Serving a client is not a single transaction but the start of an on-going relationship to move individuals and families towards a status of self-reliance. At Samaritan House we strive for excellence and leverage community resources to find and implement creative solutions for our community’s needs.
We believe in providing our team with supportive work environments and opportunities for development. We offer excellent opportunities for individuals with proven strong, creative, results-driven leadership skills and excellent work ethics/integrity. We welcome candidates who love working with people of diverse backgrounds who seek to make a difference by helping us create a caring compassionate community helping our neighbors in need.
We mobilize the resources of our community to help those among us who are in need.
Our dedicated professional staff and volunteers work together to provide food, access to shelter, healthcare, and a broad range of supportive services.
We preserve dignity, promote self sufficiency, and provide hope.
A community of hope through neighbor helping neighbor.
We are community-based, volunteer-driven and non-profit.
We practice dignity and respect in all of our actions.
We leverage community resources for maximum effectiveness.
We find and implement creative solutions for our community's unmet needs.
We provide our core services without charge to our clients.
Role: Development Manager
Location: San Mateo,
Apply for this job now.