Posting Date - January 28, 2020
Closing Date - February 24, 2020
Salary - Competitive
We are looking for a Database Administrator to join our London team based out of our office in Saffron Hill. Reporting to the Cloud Operations and Infrastructure Manager, the new Database Administrator will be responsible for the performance, reliability, recoverability, and security of the databases used by our SaaS applications.
Who you are
You might be a SQL Database Administrator supporting an on-prem product that wants to gain cloud experience, or maybe you are already working with a cloud-based product and are looking for your next challenge. As our new SQL Database Administrator, you will play a critical role in designing, installing, monitoring and performance tuning the database infrastructure in the cloud (AWS) while ensuring high levels of data availability.
What's in it for you
- Influence. You will be the point of contact for all database security, and help with monitoring and influencing the planning and protection of our databases in the cloud.
- Knowledge and growth. You will become part of a team that works on multiple SaaS applications hosted on the cloud.
- Exposure. This is an opportunity to help innovate and develop at a company with locations all over the world! You will get a chance to share your knowledge and introduce best practices for data safety.
Here's what you will do as our new SQL DBA:
- Database Operations. You will be responsible for the general health and performance optimization of all ARGUS Databases (SQL Server, MongoDB, MySQL, and others), including all planned and unplanned database backup and restoration activities as well as all planning, implementation, and testing.
- Monitor. You will lead the design and configuration of all database monitoring and alerting. You will design and implement alerting and monitoring for space-related issues. You will ensure our data is recoverable in the event of an issue.
- Design and Plan. You will align projects with our DBA in Houston and take the lead on all future planning.
- Evangelize. You will research and share new technologies and best practices with the team.
- Security. You will take proper security measures in all technical roles and operations and make sure the data - and access to it - is protected, encrypted, and managed according to company policy. If there are breaches, you will promptly respond and create a security plan of action.
So, how do we know you are our Database Administrator?
- The education. An undergraduate degree of Science in Management Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent (preferred). You have, or you are interested in, pursuing your AWS Management certification.
- The experience. You have previous experience managing complex different database technologies specific to SQL. Experience managing global Cloud deployments across multiple regions and time zones, as well as experience in BI tools such as Tableau, would be an asset.
- The ability to troubleshoot problems. When presented with a problem, you quickly determine the potential causes and construct possible solutions.
- The communication skills. You have great written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact with others in a team environment.
- The desire to learn. You are naturally curious and always looking to research and implement best practices to ensure you stay ahead in your field.
- The flexibility. You will need to be on-call based on a rotational schedule. Work outside of business hours will be required for deployment and maintenance activities.
We thank you in advance for taking the time to learn more about what makes Altus a great place to grow your career and do some of your best work.
What to expect from the Interview Process
- A phone interview discussing your interest in the role, the team's culture and how you can grow as a DBA.
- A phone interview with the Manager, Cloud Operations and Infrastructure (the Hiring Manager) to talk further about your technical experience and an opportunity for you to get to know the manager you would be working for.
- An in-person interview with the Director of Development Operations and Senior Technical team members. This will be an in-depth interview covering several scenarios that will test both your technical experience and knowledge as well as core skills such as problem-solving. We will also be looking at how you will fit within the DevOps team. This interview will take around 2-3 hours and will be based at our Saffron Hill office.
Come realize your potential at Altus Group!
Altus Group is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment where employees feel valued and respected, and where every employee has the opportunity to realize their potential. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if required, and will work with you to meet your needs.
Role: Database Administrator
Job Type: Permanent
Apply for this job now.