The Underwriting Consultant will be reporting directly to the firm’s Chief Risk Officer. They will be responsible for analyzing health benefit plan data and assessing risks as to frequency of claims to produce accurate Difference Card exhibits. This individual will utilize established underwriting criteria and policies to provide proper rating methodologies. They will work closely with the Difference Card sales consultants and recommend alternative pricing options and plan design changes based on economic analysis, group specific claims data and trends. This position will assist in building and maintaining databases and models to support the economic analysis of the Difference Card program. This individual will work on new business and renewal account underwriting.
• Bachelors Degree in Math, Finance, Business, Statistics, Healthcare Administration or related degree
• 2+ years experience in healthcare underwriting for any variety of products: PPO, HMO, self-funded, ASO/fully-insured
• Ability to work independently while managing multiple tasks and meeting deadlines
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to utilize underwriting criteria and policies to provide proper rating methodologies
• Intermediate-Advanced proficiency with MS Excel
• Understanding of managed care business processes, data, systems, and applications for claims payment, enrollment, benefit design, and utilization management a plus
• Provide technical subject matter expertise to the sales staff and district offices on new health care proposals
• 1+ years experience in risk analysis
• Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing
• Managed care experience
• Advanced Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, SAS skills
Job location: 245 Main Street White Plains, NY 10601
Work from home opportunity: partial (once up and running)
The Difference Card has been in operation for over a decade pursuing its mission to provide our clients with the most cost-effective health plan for their employees. Since 2001, The Difference Card has provided clients with an average net health care savings of 18%. The rising cost of healthcare and medical plan renewals is the single most important employee benefit challenge facing employer groups today. The Difference Card is an innovative mechanism that assists employers in self-funding a portion of their health plan. Thereby achieving a more economical healthcare plan structure that allows employers to maintain a richer level of benefits for employees without increasing employee contributions or reducing their benefit package. This results in a savings to the employer on its healthcare costs while controlling the amount of out-of-pockets expense passed on to its employees. The Difference Card is a fast paced, rapidly growing organization with offices in 13 cities across the country.
About The Difference Card
With offices in New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco, Nashville, Boston, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., The Difference Card is a company of innovators who believe in cost--saving employee benefit solutions for clients, not setting limits. The Difference Card is not just technology – it’s the powerful combination of flexibility, customer service, wellness, innovation and results. Since 2001, The Difference Card has provided its clients with an average annual net savings of over 18%. For more information, visit
Role: Underwriting Consultant
Location: White Plains,
Apply for this job now.