Drama Therapist with post-16 special needs experience for a full time position for September 2020
*Interviews taking place this week*
TeacherActive are working closely with a post-16 special educational needs college in Sutton Coldfield. The college are looking to appoint a qualified Drama Therapist on a full time, temp to perm position. The independent college is a further education day placement centre for students with learning disabilities, challenging behaviours and/or physical disabilities and ASC.
The most suitable Drama Therapist with post-16 special needs experience will be expected to:
- Encourage and support clients in creative drama and theatre work using techniques such as improvisation, storytelling, play, role play, myth, ritual, script work, and devising and presenting performances
- Encourage self-awareness, exploration and reflection on feelings and relationships
- Initiate spontaneous exploration of personal issues
- Enable your clients to experiment with new ways of thinking and behaving
- Use appropriate equipment, materials and therapeutic props, such as puppets
- Organise a performance resulting from working with a group, if appropriate
- Undertake assessment visits or appointments
- take referrals from, and liaise with, other professionals such as psychologists, social workers, nurses, teachers and other therapist staff
- Write reports on your clients' progress and the activities that you've undertaken with them
- Attend regular supervision sessions.
- Be confident to use a range of interventions, including stories, puppetry, masks, role play, drama and movement, to allow them to explore their experiences and express themselves in a way that might be easier than directly talking about it.
- Have experience with a range of difficulties, including psychological and/or mental health issues, physical or learning disabilities or behavioural difficulties, addiction, and neurological or physical illnesses.
The most suitable Drama Therapist with post-16 special needs experience will have:
- A degree level qualification relating to Drama or in Psychological Health. Alternatively, you could have a relevant professional qualification, such as nursing, teaching, occupational therapy or social work.
- A thorough knowledge of drama and theatre and good performance skills
- The ability to adapt to different clients or group members, locations and situations
- Emotional strength and the ability to deal with challenging situations
- A commitment to your clients' wellbeing and to continually improving professional practice
- Excellent communication skills for dealing with a range of people, including clients, carers, colleagues and other health and education workers and agencies
- Time management and organisation skills, particularly if working for more than one employer
- Administrative and report writing skills.
If you are interested and experience for the Drama Therapist with post-16 special needs experience position, please email your up to date CV to #removed# or call Helen at TeacherActive on 0121 200 3224.