Trimble is an exciting, entrepreneurial company, with a history of exceptional growth coupled with a disciplined and strategic focus on being the best. While GPS is at our core, we have grown beyond this technology to embrace other sophisticated positioning technologies and, in doing so; we are changing the way the world works. Our solutions are used in over 140 countries and we have incredibly diverse lines of business.Our employees represent this diversity and can be found in over 30 countries, working closely with their colleagues around the world. Due to our geographic, product and customer reach, there is plenty of room at Trimble for exceptional people to grow. Come position yourself with an innovative industry leader and position yourself for success.Job Title
Supplier Quality Engineer (SQE) - Mechanical Job Summary
Supplier Quality Engineer, Mechanical, is a key leadership position matrix reporting to the Commodity Management Team Leader and is responsible for all aspects of Supplier Quality for incoming material to Trimble Navigation. Supplier Quality Engineer is to work closely with suppliers to ensure compliance of Trimble’s Supplier Quality Requirement (SQR) to ensure incoming materials meet or exceed Trimble specifications. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Characteristics / Skills (Legend: “Must have” and “good to have” skills)
- Technical management of custom part suppliers for Casting, Machining, Packaging, Plastics (Injection Molding, Vacuum Forming, 3D printing), and other related components.
- Maintain and update critical supplier audit system and schedule
- Conduct supplier audits to drive process standardization, waste elimination, continuous improvement, and Zero Defects.
- Monitor, communicate and improve key supply chain KPI’s, DPPM and Lessons Learned for previous quality issues.
- Strategically lead supplier projects in an effort to increase the supplier process capabilities of consistently meeting Trimble requirements. Projects may include Process Analysis, Value Stream Mapping, ProcessCapability Studies and Throughput Analysis using 6‐Sigma, 5S and Kaizen and other quality minded tools.
- Key contributor to Supplier Scorecards process and quality section for assigned suppliers.
- Participate and lead supplier technical evaluation, selection and supplier process qualification incl. leading on-site audits.
- Review and confirm supplier process qualifications and capability at New Product Introduction (NPI) in preparation for volume production.
- Champion problem solving and root cause analysis (8D) activities with suppliers and customers to eliminate recurrence of non‐conformances.
- Focal point for quick resolution to resolve supplier Technical and Quality issues in a timely manner to ensure continuity of supply
- Drive “Zero Defects” mentality and execution within supply base. The Supplier Quality Engineer position is a key management position required to work independently with minimal supervision to meet departmental goals while interfacing with Design Engineering, Commodity Managers, Supply Chain Managers, Corporate Quality, and Product Operations teams for sustaining & improving Trimble inbound material spec. compliance and successful ramp to production volume from new product release.
The successful candidate will have five years plus of progressive experience in a multinational company (international company), part of a matrix organization managing all aspects of Supplier Quality incl. advanced quality tasks at new product introduction (NPI) and manufacturing process control. This includes strong experience in all aspects of supplier quality management with emphasis:
- Experience across electro-mechanical assembly technologies and technical background in design and manufacturing of PWB process/technology, interconnect/connectors, wire harnesses, power supplies, IPC standards especially IPC 610-D Class 3 workmanship standards
- In depth understanding of the new product development process and ability to assist the development teams during production release.
Education / Experience
- Strong experience in , including
- Lead on-site supplier audits,
- Ability to analyze supplier’s quality system, production process controls incl. statistical process control and capability, Cpk, assessment
- Proactively identify quality, reliability and process control gaps/issues and drive action items to closure.
- Hands on experience in Measurement System Analysis (MSA) including:
- Selection of appropriate measurement technique/instruments
- Gauge R&R
- Process capability and statistical process control
- Experience with early production involvement and NPI release, Design of Experiments (DoE), PFMEA and process control plan confirmation.
- < > development & maintenance of preferred supplier strategies working with Global Commodity Managers and Product Development and New Product Introduction OrganizationsExcellent Communication (verbal and written) and Leadership skills and be a successful “change agent”.
- Ability to interact successfully with all levels of supplier’s organization, from Sr. Management to direct labor personnel at factory both domestic and foreign
- Participation in technology road map reviews w/ Key Strategic Suppliers and Product Development teams
- Ability to publish and present executive summaries to communicate audit results, project status/ updates and risks to keep leadership, team members informed of situations & next steps.
- Responsible for initiating & improving current supplier quality toolbox, process & procedures.
- Ability to provide technical and problem solving mentoring to others including setting timeline and diligent follow-up to resolve problems & meet product operations requirements.
- Competent in various tools for Root Cause / Corrective Action, 8D, Lean, 5 Why’s, Pareto Analysis, Six Sigma, 8-D, DFMEA, PFEMA, PPAP, Kaizen, Poka-Yoke mfg. processes for identified problem.
- Ability to learn technical information quickly and apply it to a specific product problem
- Accountable for assigned supplier/initiatives: Take ownership and drive initiatives to closure, internally & externally, meeting stringent timelines & expectations including preparation of supplier score cards.
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering
- Experience and knowledge of industry standards for Casting / Machining, Geometric Tolerancing and Dimensioning
- Minimum 5+ years of experience
- Minimum 4 years Quality Engineering Experience
- Ability to travel on short notice
- Experience with Product Development Methodology (PDM).
- Proficient in use of (hands-on) MS-Office tools (Excel, Powerpoint), MS-Visio
- Communicate engineering and manufacturing specifications to supplier technical teams
- Actively manage suppliers to ensure there are no regressions with the implementation of new processes
- Aide in the new, probationary and rejected supplier transition processes
- Travel to supplier locations to resolve quality problems (approx. 20% travel domestic USA, possible international travel)
- Work closely with Trimble Regulatory Requirements Organization to assure supplier compliance.
Trimble Navigation Limited is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/DRole: Supplier Quality Engineer - Mechanical Job Type: Location: Dayton, Apply for this job now.