Heyland Recruitment have recently been engaged by our client, a successful SME service business easily commutable from the Wigan and Warrington area, as they seek to appoint an experienced Payroll Manager. Reporting to the Finance Director and managing a team of 2, the Payroll Manager will effectively lead the day to day payroll function, leading and mentoring the payroll team, ensuring an efficient payroll process within company guidelines.
Our client has enjoyed significant growth and has further plans for expansion based on a solid foundation of key clients and contracts. This has been accompanied by a pipeline of further revenue that will enable the business to sustain their growth and success.
- Responsibility for the Payroll Service of c,800 employees
- Administer the Company's payroll system in compliance with statutory legislation and terms and conditions of employment and in accordance with payroll deadlines, including payroll data input and checks, processing payroll, issuing payslips, P45/P60's etc, resolving payroll enquiries, maintaining absence control records, SMP, OMP, OSP, SSP, car mileage claims, overtime payments, payroll deductions, pension scheme administration, time and attendance management and gratuities
- Manage the payroll team ensuring that they are adequately trained and that their work is both timely and accurate and all key performance targets are met
- Pension scheme management and administration from a payroll perspective
- Maintain and process all payroll related records/returns to statutory bodies and provide payroll-related data to the management team as required
- Identify and implement service efficiency improvements
- Maintain the current Payroll system, including implementing and testing new software releases
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of all relevant payroll and pension legislation
- Monthly payment of and year-end reconciliation of statutory deductions and local government pension scheme deductions
- Responsibility for ensuring accurate transfer of pay through the CHAPS system
- Attendance at internal management meetings and externals meetings as required
- Graduate or equivalent level of expertise
- A professional payroll/finance qualification
- Extensive and demonstrable payroll experience at a senior level within a complex, multi-site workforce with large voles of data handling
- Previous experience of managing complex payroll tasks
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines, whilst maintaining a professional outlook and commitment to providing the highest quality customer service
The ideal candidate will have prior experience using ADP systems along with a general understanding of term time only workers from a payroll perspective (beneficial not essential). Candidates with an understanding of multiple pension schemes including defined benefit and experience in dealing with TUPE transfers will also hold an advantage.