Position Title: Resident Advocate Compensation: $13.50/hr
Status: Substitute (on-call), non-exempt Accepting Applications: Open
Reports to: Emergency Services Director Supervises: None
Position Summary: The Resident Advocate plays a very important role that in our agency and anyone that fills this role needs to understand and believe in our mission. The Resident Advocate works very closely with our clients in the shelter or safe house and their goal is to see them through a successful stay with us. The Resident Advocate strives to provide a high level of customer service to our residents at all times and executes operational tasks while on site. The goal of the Resident Advocate is to ensure the security and safety of the shelter and its residents, carry out shelter guidelines and schedules, handle crisis situations, and assist clients as needed.
- Provide for the needs of residents, maintaining the confidentiality, professionalism, and policies of the agency when working with shelter residents. Sign and uphold ethics and confidentiality agreement.
- Log and document appropriate shift and resident information by the end of each shift.
- Perform necessary shelter operations, including but not limited to serving meals, doing chores, taking inventory, performing client intakes, putting away groceries, sorting donations, issuing medicine, etc.
- Assist in maintaining accurate client records by provide information to the case manager regarding clients and staying in communication with Case Managers, Site Coordinators, and/or program managers regarding all clients.
- Coordinate with other sites and programs within agency, as needed.
- Perform other tasks or responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Participate in staff meetings monthly.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to interact in a supportive and mature and professional manner with a diverse population.
- Capability to handle multiple tasks, including service provision, documentation, rule enforcement, and crisis intervention.
- Ability to work independently, and ensure the safety of residents and shelter environment during each shift.
- Comfortable working as a team member, with initiative, resourcefulness, flexibility, and reliability.
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds and perform repetitive tasks if necessary.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Experience working with underserved populations.
- Experience and knowledge of the effects of trauma, domestic violence, homelessness, mental health, substance abuse, and child abuse prevention, and empowerment of women and children.
- Conflict resolution skills a plus.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Mandarin a plus.
- Domestic Violence Counselor Training a must for our Sister Me Home location.
Working Environment/Physical Demands: You will be working in a shelter environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The position has mostly an inside work environment and occasional outside work with exposure to weather conditions. It also calls for extensive use of the body including but not limited to, lifting (up to 60lbs), pulling, bending, sitting and standing for extended periods of time, writing, typing, walking, running, climbing, sight and hearing.
Notice: This description is to be used as a guide only. It does not constitute a contract, commitment or promise of any kind. Building Futures reserves the right to change, add, delete, upgrade or downgrade the position as dictated by business necessity at anytime with or without notice.
At Building Futures, we believe everyone deserves a safe place to call home. The agency is an Alameda County leader providing a safety net of services to help individuals and families rebuild safe and stable lives free from homelessness and family violence. We operate three emergency shelters; a full spectrum of domestic violence outreach services; a supportive housing site; and a rapid re-housing program. As a Housing First agency, all of Building Futures' programs and services prioritize linking our clients with housing.
Role: On Call Resident Advocate
Location: San Leandro,
Apply for this job now.