What we're looking for
We're looking for an Azure Cloud Engineer to design, build and implement new Platforms as a Service. The team is a small agile team of peers who work together to deliver a state-of-the art platform for Schroders' development community. You will be a peer member in this team of engineers responsible for delivering and managing an Azure platform used by Schroders developers globally.
The cloud platform development team work closely with applications development teams to identify and implement Platforms as a Service using Infrastructure as Code i.e. all the platforms, including network components, are created using a DevOps pipeline and code changes.
The team also delivers shared services, libraries and patterns that benefit other teams, e.g. Centralised File Transfers, Notifications, , Event Sourcing on Cosmos DB, etc.
Technology at Schroders
There's a huge amount of change going on at Schroders. Technology's shaping our business more and more, so there are many opportunities waiting to be grabbed. And because we're a big financial player, we can put hefty backing behind good ideas.
We're a serious business - we have enormous responsibilities to our clients and shareholders. But just because we're suited and booted, that doesn't make us stuffy; our tech teams are friendlier and more informal than you might expect.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly.
What you'll do
• You will design, build and implement new Platforms as a Service requested by development teams (e.g. Databricks)
• Upgrade existing services (e.g. ASE).
• Improve processes for provisioning of services.
• Understand the capabilities of Azure platforms and help application development teams understand which service to use when.
• Define patterns that would be applied by delivery teams.
• Deliver shared services and libraries that speed up other teams, e.g. File Transfer service, notifications, Schroders.Core, etc.
• Train and mentor developers and other architects on how to implement applications on Azure making the best possible use of the services that have been enabled.
• Help Schroders maintain consistency across all delivery teams, i.e. guide team towards established patterns rather than arbitrarily different solutions.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Must have Microsoft development experience and understand the full software development life cycle
• Must understand different design patterns used by Microsoft Stack developers
• Must have demonstrated use of Agile methodology for delivery
• Must have experience using a DevSecOps pipeline
• Must have experience architecting and delivering applications
• Should have experience using Terraform
• Should have a Microsoft Accredited professional qualification relating to Azure
What you'll be like
• Friendly, people the world over like working with you, and they're never afraid to ask you for help
• As a developer building the platform for all of Schroders developers you will be interested in the latest tech developments, and how you can use them
• Calm, you're positive and happy to take the lead in challenging times
• Like to solve problems and continually find better ways to do things
• Like creating frameworks and tools that are genuinely useful to fellow developers
• Good at explaining and documenting software development concepts
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.
Role: Azure Cloud Engineer
Job Type: Permanent
Apply for this job now.