PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To direct and manage the school meals service in line with legislation, the Business Plan agreed with the Client and the Policies and Procedures of HCL.
To manage the agreed budgets, thereby ensuring a financially viable catering service for both HCL and the Client.
To provide emergency catering and meals for transporting to other sites, as required.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Plan and implement the effective deployment of all Unit resources (staff, food, equipment and cleaning materials) as required to maximise the effectiveness of the Unit operation.
- Ensure that all food is prepared, cooked and served in strict accordance with HCL's published three week menu cycle, including allergen and special diets.
- Manage and develop the Unit staff to ensure all staff are motivated and developed to their full potential. This will include appropriate on-the-job training, PMDS, recruiting to vacancies, probation reviews, performance management and first line discipline.
- Understand, implement, monitor and maintain the operational management of HCL's Food Safety Management System (FSMS) and Health & Safety Policy, including relevant audit trail and ensure that all staff and visitors to the kitchen comply.
- As the Unit Manager, promote a constructive and effective communication of the meal service within the school. This includes understanding and promoting healthy eating practices through merchandising and marketing techniques in accordance with HCL's policy. Work with the Contract Manager to develop strategies for improving take up of meals within the school and any hospitality catering.
- Manage the budget for the kitchen, working within set financial targets and maintaining a robust audit trail.
- Provide any special dietary, emergency and hospitality catering as required.
- Assist the Contract Manager in supporting and developing new Cook Managers within the Area, as required.
Working Hours- 08:30am-14:00pm
As a self-motivated individual, you will have excellent communication skills as well as being able to demonstrate the ability to lead and manage a team.
It is essential that you have a strong understanding of the importance of Health and Safety as well as high standards of hygiene and a neat and tidy appearance.
You will be willing to be fully involved role in providing an excellent service to the schools, including attending on the job training if necessary. You will be confident in dealing with monies whilst being able to maintain accurate records if required.
The ability to communicate fluently with customers in accurate spoken and written English is essential for the post.