As part of the Service Desk team, provide first and second tier technical and functional support by phone and email.
1. Identify and analyze hardware, software and network-related problems. Troubleshoot and resolve problems whenever possible. Collaborate with other ITS departments as needed, maintain ownership of the ticket issue to ensure prompt and thorough resolution.
2. Troubleshoot complex issues, via remote access tools, relating to installation, configuration and functional/technical support of software and university systems.
3. Proactively provide preventative maintenance; keep abreast of current installed operating systems, application software and computing standards to ensure all versions are up-to-date as recommended by ITS and external application vendors.
4. Install and coordinate repair of a wide variety of computing devices attached to the network.
5. Develop and maintain Knowledge Base content based on Subject Matter Expert (SME) role. Support clients in the use of their desktop equipment by instructions and informational interactions.
6. Provide Tier I and Tier II support for University applications, including web browsers, email, Oracle financials, HR and Procurement Web applications (including ePortal, SciQuest, Expense Management System (EMS) and E-ShipGlobal).
7. Work with other ITS or external computing support organizations to perform root cause analysis and develop permanent solutions to prevent recurring issues.
8. Develop and document technical procedures, including testing of hardware and software products.
9. Assure compliance with security policies and procedures.
10. Troubleshoot client home support needs as related to conducting business.
13. Document work in ITS order tracking database on a daily basis.
14. Process a high volume and quality of service requests
Education and Experience
1. Six years of related experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or four years related experience and an Associate's Degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor's Degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Additional Education and Experience
1. Advanced knowledge of either Mac OSX or Windows 7 and mobile device.
2. Knowledge and understanding of Windows, XP and Vista.
3. Knowledge and support of computer hardware for the troubleshooting miscellaneous hardware problems.
4. Knowledge and support of standard software packages, including Microsoft Office and Adobe productivity tools.
5. Advanced knowledge and support of standard e-mail applications, including Exchange.
6. Knowledge of Ethernet and wireless networking protocols; and knowledge of hubs, routers, IP and terminal emulation concepts.
7. Preferred: Bachelor's Degree in related field and related experience in support of Windows and Macintosh systems; Required one of the following certifications - A+, Network+, Microsoft, Apple/Mac.
Skills & Abilities
1. Exceptional oral and written communication skills, well organized and detail-oriented.
2. Service-minded, self-motivated and ability to work to both independently, in a team environment and across organizational units.
3. Proven ability and drive to provide excellent customer service.
4. Proven ability to use a combination of research, previous experience, testing and escalation to efficiently find the best solutions to technical problems, including applying standards and best practices in implementing stable solutions that best meet a client's business and operational requirements.
5. Proven ability to address production or operational problems with a sense of urgency, ability to quickly make diagnosis and establish rapport with clients.
6. Proficient in multi-tasking and ability to prioritize responsibilities and work independently. Ability to excel in a fast-paced IT computing department.
7. Flexibility and dedication in acquiring new responsibilities/tasks as needed in the department or in other ITS departments.
8. Reliability and dependability to ensure the individual and unit are meeting posted SLAs and service targets.
Role: Desktop Technician
Location: New Haven,
Apply for this job now.