Description of the Business Line or Department
The Group's internal control system is organized according to the principle of the three lines of defence: 1LOD consistent of the operational departments (Business Units and Support Functions)
2LOD (Risk, Compliance and Finance Functions) undertakes independent operational risk activities
3LOD consisting of Internal Audit and General Inspection
The mission of the Second Line of Defence (LOD2) is to ensure all risks are identified, assessed, analysed, measured, supervised, managed and correctly reported by the Group units in question, providing an overview of all risks.
Being the part of RISQ Second Line of Defence, 2 nd Level Control (L2C) team carries out L2C reviews to provide an opinion on the quality of first-level controls implementation, their relevance, the definition of their operating procedures, and thus to contribute to the assessment of the effectiveness of first-level controls.
L2C team is responsible for the controls framework assessment including credit and market risks, structural risks including liquidity risk, and operational risks. Operational risks notably include risks to the different core businesses (particularly fraud) and risks related to purchases, communications, property, human resources and IT processes and systems.
To ensure the objectivity of the controls carried-out, L2C teams are independent from operational teams.
The department based in London covers particularly the SGLB Perimeter.
The job requires a high level of autonomy, strong analytical, writing and presentation skills, data analysis and strong interpersonal and coordination skills to interact with numerous persons in various departments on a regular basis Summary of the key purposes of the role
The Second Level Controller role will support a key component of the group Operational Risk Framework: 2 nd Level Control.
The primary purpose of the role is to: Perform second level control reviews on Business Unit and Support Function first level controls
Make recommendations to improve the quality of the first level control framework
Ensure the implementation of recommendations
Summary of responsibilities
- Scope of SG UK Group: SGLB and Lyxor
- Scope of functions: Business Functions (MARK/GLBA/Lyxor/SGSS) + Support Functions (Operations/Finance/Technology/HR/Compliance/Legal)
- For in-scope entities and functions, analyze major risks and the control framework leveraging various components of the Operational Risk Framework.
- For each 2 nd Level control contained on the roadmap, conduct an all encompassing review of its design and operating effectiveness. This must include a review of any pre-existing anomalies and associated Action Plans, as defined by the 1LOD. Provide a 2 nd level control assessment rating.
- Review, challenge / advise on the robustness of the 1 st level controls, on a sample basis.
- Consolidate and provide an independent opinion on the control framework within the 2nd Level reviews and propose areas for improvement. Track and report progress on raised actions.
Level of Autonomy and Authority
- Consolidate and provide an independent risk assessment to GBIS senior management periodic results of the 2 nd Level Control, to include assessment ratings, anomalies and associated Action Plans, and progress updates on all open anomalies and Action Plans.
- Can be associated or take the lead on 2 nd Level Control toolset training sessions
Second Level Controllers are involved in analysing operational risk data versus the existing control framework, collectively assessing the design and operating effectiveness of the second level controls. The role encompasses decisions regarding assessment scope (with the assistance of management, as required). The role holder will decide on improvement recommendations, track open anomalies and open Action Plans through to closure Profile Required Competencies
-Operational Risk Processes Knowledge
-Underlying business knowledge and experience (Corporate and investment banking environment)
-Knowledge and experience of market activities
-Knowledge and experience in Operations or Product Control
-Pack Office (Power Point, Word or Excel Expert)
-Operational Risk Tools knowledge (SG or Industry)
-Knowledge of tools used in the processing chain is a plus (SG or Industry)
-Strong analytical skills with high attention to details and accuracy
-Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
-Able to organize time, multitask, and define priorities (autonomy)
-Able to interact with all levels of the organization from operators to executive management members
-Ability to be flexible and agile (priorities may change and escalation need to be adapted)
- Demonstrated ability to lead change through influencing skills, be a positive change agent
-English required - French is a plus. Why Join Us
If you feel you have the required experience and qualifications, then please apply to the SG Resourcing Team, and we will manage your application. At Societe Generale, we believe our people are our strength and are core to the success of our business. As such, we search for, recruit and appoint the best available person on the basis of aptitude and ability, regardless of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or gender reassignment Business Insight
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like "hard work" and "dedication" together with "community" and "respect" has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different
All our positions are open to people with disabilities
Job code: 19000QL2
Business unit: SG CIB
Starting date: 25/11/2019
Date of publication: 26/09/2019