An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Human Factors Engineering Consultant to join Team’s highly skilled and established HF group. We enjoy excellent relationships with long standing clients, which provides opportunities to work on a variety of projects, from supporting concept development of medical devices and systems through to validation. We are known for our work in combination products, but we also have a flourishing business in medtech and diagnostics, and a growing capability in digital health. This opportunity is ideal for someone who wants to join a supportive and thriving team of colleagues. As well as someone who enjoys interactions with users/patients and the design, implementation and travel for user studies.
If this sounds like what you are looking for with the next step in your HF career, please check out more on our job (our detailed job description is below) or take a look at some of our HF work on our website: https://#removed#-consulting.com/expertise/human-factors/. If you wanted to get in touch to discuss any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always keen to talk to talented HF folks, so if you feel you profile isn''t a match for the role we have described below, but you are interested in Team, please do get in touch, we''d love to hear from you.
Providing human factors input to a range of product development projects in the healthcare and life sciences industry. An emphasis on supporting the design and implementation of human factors research programmes, in line with sound research methodologies, best practice and regulatory requirements, during the development of new medical devices.
- Supporting the human factors analysis of medical products including:
- Identifying and analysing the intended users, uses, use environments and training provided to users of medical products
- Researching known use issues of medical products currently on the market
- Analysing user interfaces and task prioritization using techniques such as Task Analysis and Perception, Cognition, Action (PCA) analysis
- Identification and analysis of use related risks associated with using a medical product
- Supporting the planning, execution and reporting of human factors research studies including:
- Formative testing conducted to inform the product development process
- Summative (validation) testing conducted to demonstrate that intended users can use the medical product safely and effectively
- Travelling, mainly within the UK and USA, to act as an observer and/or moderator in these studies.
- Conducting data collection, analysis, and documentation in a thorough and detailed manor and where appropriate, generating documentation to support regulatory submissions.
- Supporting medical device development programmes
- Contributing to the development of Team’s knowledge and processes
- Communicating with clients
- Managing work packages or smaller projects (with support as required)
Qualifications & skills
- Ability to conduct all desk-based research required for medical HF engineering
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Structured and methodical analysis of data and problem solving
- Proven ability to:
- plan and implement formative and summative user studies (including study moderation)
- analyse, report and present findings with clarity
- Must have experience of regulatory-focused medical HF (in a consultancy or a client company)
- Some experience of digital interfaces
Leadership / Consultancy Skills
- Excellent rounded communication skills – listening, verbal, written and presentation skills. Including communicating to a range of technical and non-technical audiences
- Able to plan and manage self and others to deliver results including time management and resource planning abilities
- Instinctively collaborative – actively sharing knowledge and information and supporting others
- Structured and methodical problem solving
- Versatility to work effectively on varied products across a range of clients, both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience in project planning and cost estimation
- Calm under pressure
- Positive attitude, seeing the opportunities or learning in each challenge faced
- Enthusiastic, pro-active, self-starter who wants to make a positive impact whether with clients or colleagues
- Inquisitive, intelligent thinker who can embrace differences in style
- People-focused whether colleagues, clients, or end users
- Consistent good judgement – “safe pair of hands”
- Focus on developing self and others, with good self-awareness and able to self-critique.
- Team player who is comfortable working as part of a close-knit project team
Additional role requirements and working patterns
- Extensive travel both within the UK and overseas, to undertake user studies on behalf of our clients. Studies typically last between 1 to 3 weeks
- This role requires in person collaboration with colleagues; however, we would be happy to discuss some hours being worked from home in line with our hybrid-working approach
Team values equality, diversity and inclusion in employment and recruitment. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and an inclusive community, where our talented people respect and value the contributions, skills, and abilities of others.
We want our people to succeed on merit, treating individuals equally, including making decisions and providing encouragement and opportunities relating to recruitment, career development and retention in a fair and consistent manner.
Our aim is a workplace free from all forms of bullying, harassment or victimisation, and unlawful or unfair discrimination on the grounds of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships.