We ae currently working with a well-established organisation who are looking for an strong Category Manager to support the Economy and Infrastructure Directorate. Ideally they are needing candidates who have Local Government Procurement experience on a generalist perspective.
- To ensure that savings and other procurement benefits and efficiencies are identified, planned and delivered in line with Corporate Procurement and Council strategies and expectations
- To identify and lead on specific procurement projects, tenders and contracts and take operational responsibility for the projects and tenders carried out by the Corporate Procurement Service
- This includes the management of all steps in the procurement process: user needs analysis; market research; sourcing activity; structure of tenders; market engagement; tender evaluation; negotiation; legal requirements; contract finalisation
- To develop, manage, maintain and deliver a Strategy for each nominated Category, which meets the business objectives and delivers value for money outcomes
- The Category Strategy will crucially direct future spend and investment decisions over a medium to long term timescale
- This will include challenging previously unchallenged spend, non-coordinated spend activities, unplanned purchases or under-utilized contracts, which are likely to have a negative impact on efficiencies and value for money
- To maintain an on-going market awareness and assessment of spend across the Category, assessing risks, opportunities and controlling un-authorised spend
- To manage relevant procurement programmes to deliver the required outcomes of the Category Strategy, ensuring a current awareness of all forthcoming procurement activities (for both new procurement and re-tendering/renewals of existing contracts) with particular focus on expenditure likely to exceed £50k in value
- To generally lead all procurement above EU threshold values
- To create and market procurement project plans and identify where corrective action is needed to ensure procurement issues are managed effectively throughout the procurement cycle, thereby delivering effective project outcomes and efficient working. This will include effective project management, change control management and, where possible, reducing procurement timescales and resources required
Full JD available upon request.
They would like someone local to the West Midlands however they appreciate how challenging the market is so they are happy to consider applicants who are based further away.
Please note you will need to travel to the organisation to collect IT equipment and there also may be a need to travel to the offices a couple time a month.
Duration 12 month contract to cover Maternity Leave
Rate: negotiable depending on experience (Inside IR35)