Reports to: Service Manager
Job Summary: The Commercial Lines Account Manager performs the
essential functions of the position, which include aiding clients with
service needs and making changes to existing accounts. Specific
service and marketing responsibilities are required in this position.
Meets service and sales delivery standards and performs
essential functions to the quality and service standards developed
by the agency.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
New Business • Pre-qualifies and analyzes prospects’ commercial lines
coverage needs. Recommends coverage's and prepares rating
quotes and proposals to sell new accounts.
• Assists clients with making coverage changes in an
automated environment supported by electronic imaging;
determines if delayed or advanced billing is appropriate
and invoices accordingly; uses each contact with the client
as an opportunity to review the whole account, round it and
• Informs and educates clients about policy coverage,
changes, exclusion, and insurance coverage needs.
• Provides technical support to producer(s) to benefit
clients and to reach agency’s strategic business goals.
• Prepares proposals and completes application in
coordination with producer(s); submits applications to
eligible and appropriate carriers; obtains client signatures
on all applications; follows up to ensure timely receipt of
quotations, policies and other pending items.
• Meets clients’ needs by producing binders,
certificates, policies, endorsements, and other related
items; verifies their accuracy.
• Actively seeks referrals from current client base; follows
generate new business by using prospect data base and
automated marketing tools.
Retention • Prepares summaries of insurance, schedules, and
proposals as needed for account review.
• Remarkets renewals, contacts clients, creates renewal
proposals, and handles other renewal activities in
coordination with the producer(s).
• Renews policies following agency standards; verifies
each renewal’s accuracy; ensures that all renewals are
• Reviews audits of policies; verifies accuracy and
facilitates corrections, as needed, between client and
• Maintains and updates electronic files according to agency
• Verifies policy and policy change information, facilitating
corrections when necessary.
• Processes incoming mail requests, responding promptly
• Verifies accuracy of all direct billed cancellations and
takes appropriate corrective action when needed.
• Uses agency credit and collection policy in invoicing and
pursuing prompt payments; requests cancellations from
the carrier according to agency standards.
• Determines reasons for requests for cancellations; acts to
save accounts; notifies producer(s) according to agency
• Processes and follows up on cancellations requests to
carriers to ensure accurate and timely resolution; maintains
agency in financial equity whenever possible.
• Reviews walk-in payments and verifies acceptability;
processes, as appropriate, providing receipts to payers or
directing the receptionist to do so.
• Assists clients in submitting first reports of claims,
obtaining adjustors or visits from agency staff; facilitates
prompt response from carrier staff and follows up on
claims status to keep insureds informed and to work
toward settlement of all claims; uses each claim contact as
an occasion to review coverages and market as needed.
Marketing • Actively solicits increases in coverage and rounds out
accounts through sales to clients; leaves good
documentation of all contacts.
• Actively refers clients to Personal Lines and Life Benefits
departments for solicitation of new business.; assists in profiling
the commercial book of business for marketing purposes.
• Assists in design of, or independently designs, insurance
plans for clients as assigned and directed by the agency
• Assists or completes other tasks as directed by agency
Personal and • Sets priorities and manages workflow to ensure efficient,
Organizational timely, accurate processing of transactions and other
• Maintains a cordial and effective relationship with clients,
co-workers, carriers, vendors, and other business contacts.
• Keeps informed regarding industry information, new
product information, legislation, coverage's and technology
to continuously improve knowledge and performance.
• Interacts with others effectively by utilizing good
communications skills, cooperating purposefully, and
providing information and guidance, as needed, to achieve
the business goals of the agency.
• Maintains up-to-date technical knowledge and understands
how to perform technical tasks to expedite client service.
• Maintains up-to-date technical knowledge of agency
management system and utilizes its functions to effectively
provide a high level of customer service.
Knowledge, Skills • College education or equivalent insurance experience.
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing with others to
explain complex issues, receive and interpret complex
information, and respond appropriately.
• Ability to understand written and oral communication, and
interpret abstract information.
• Property and Casualty License.
• Full knowledge of insurance products and usages.
• Adequate knowledge of rating procedures (including carrier and
3rd party websites), coverages, and industry operations to
effectively manage, maintain, and underwrite assigned client and
• Full knowledge of insurance markets and reference to
• Knowledge of insurance rating and underwriting procedures.
• Ability to carry out complex tasks with many concrete and
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, and
to accurately perform simple calculations involving decimals and
• Ability to utilize computer programs and understand functionality.
• Ability to perform 70% sedentary work, exerting up to 10 pounds
of force occasionally and exert negligible force frequently or
constantly to move objects, including the body. May be asked to
exert up to 20 pounds of force periodically, as needed.
• Field of vision must be adequate to observe up and down or right
to left while eyes are fixed on a given point.
• Ability to process written and other materials visually.
• Physical efforts required include fingering, repetitive small motor
activity, grasping, verbally communicating detailed and important
information to others quickly and accurately, stooping, reaching,
standing, lifting light objects under ten pounds frequently, and
• Requires ability to receive detailed information through oral
communication, perceiving the nature of sounds with no less than
a 40 dB loss at 500 H; and 2000 Hz without correction.
Working Conditions High-pressured, fast-paced environment with significant telephone
and personal disruption. Large number of multiple steps in
complex system performed with accuracy and speed is essential
to the successful completion of tasks.
This job description is intended to describe the level of work
required by’ the person performing the work. The principal duties
outlined are the essential responsibilities and duties. Other duties
may be assigned as needs arise.
This description is not intended as a contract and is subject to
change. Any written contractual agreements supersede this job
description. All requirements may be modified reasonably to
accommodate physically or mentally challenged staff members.
Role: Commercial Line Account Manager
Apply for this job now.