What is Electronic Engineering at MBDA?
Electronic engineering at MBDA is a large department of engineers that support the design, manufacturing, and testing of all the electronics required for a working missile system (both missile and launcher). Electronic engineering is a very broad discipline; the areas we focus on at MBDA are:
What's the opportunity?
- Detailed Circuit Design (Analogue, Digital, etc.)
- Radio Frequency (RF) Design
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Design & Layout
- Power Electronics for Actuators
- Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) Design
- Research & Development into Future Technologies
- Test Systems
MBDA has a celebrated and comprehensive graduate recruitment programme and a huge range of roles available for prospective electronic engineers, and the summer placement programme is an excellent starting point. Successful applicants are usually invited back for further summer placements throughout the course of their degree, often leading to 12-month undergraduate placements and graduate roles. In Electronic Engineering, you will have the opportunity to work with experienced engineers from a large range of engineering disciplines (both internal and external to electronic engineering) to deliver part of a real missile project.What will you be doing?
You will be part of a small team (usually 8 people) of other undergraduate summer placement students. The placement will last 3 months, during which you will be given a missile related project to plan, manage, design and deliver. How you meet the solution will be down to you and your team members to determine. To help guide you, you will be supported by experienced engineers from multiple engineering disciplines (Mechanical, Test Systems, Software, etc.). You will also have dedicated mentors to help advise you both technically and professionally.The projects will encompass and provide development in one or a number of the following electronics design related skills:
What are the benefits for you?
- Detailed Circuit Design
- Analogue and Digital Circuit Test Techniques
- Analysis and Characterisation Techniques
- Manufacturing (Machining, PCB Manufacture, Circuit Card Assembly)
- Test & Evaluation of Design
In Electronic Engineering, you will have the opportunity to work with highly talented and experienced engineers from a large range of engineering disciplines (both internal and external to electronic engineering) to deliver part of a real missile project. This role provides a unique opportunity to develop and broaden technically and professionally within a respected company and multi-skilled team. You will be mentored and coached by our experienced engineers in the art of designing electronics for military products.
All the training Schemes within Electronics Engineering are accredited with the IET. Registration at Eng. Tech level is a possibility for undergraduates who have 2+ Summer Industrial Placements. MBDA can help in achieving this registration during the Summer Placement period.What's great about joining this team?
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- Part of a team that has the autonomy to organise your team and carry out the project as you see fit (within certain boundaries); its success or failure is in your hands.
- Extensive support from experienced and friendly engineers from different disciplines, ranging from recent graduates to industry veterans.
- Varied team of summer placement students from different stages of their undergraduate degree, some of whom will likely have completed one or more summer placements already.
- Excellent exposure to the development life cycle for electronic design.
- Opportunities to collaborate with other engineering disciplines and exposure to working with multi-skilled engineering teams
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
- Undergraduate enrolled at a university studying electronic engineering, general engineering (with electronics), or related subjects (physics or maths based).
- Motivated and committed students with good organisational skills and a keen appetite for learning new skills and knowledge.
- Interest in electronic engineering, technology, and engineering in general.
- Practical knowledge of common software languages (C/C++, VHDL, etc.) is beneficial but not essential.
MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States. With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime Superiority, Air Dominance, Ground Based Air Defence and Battlefield Engagement.
What would you get?
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
£16,000 to £18,000 Salary dependant on year of study, flexible working, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities and superb learning and development opportunities.
Role: Electronic Missile Engineering Summer Placement 2019 - Placement
Job Type: Placement
Location: Stevenage, Stevenage, , United Kingdom
Apply for this job now.