We are seeking qualified candidates for a senior paralegal position in the Houston office of our dynamic litigation boutique law firm. Our ideal candidate has a minimum of 10 years of experience dealing with all phases of litigation including discovery and trial preparation. Strong organizational and technical skills with excellent attention to detail a must. Position requires a four year degree and/or a paralegal certification with strong litigation experience.
The litigation paralegal provides support to attorneys working under the direction of an attorney. The paralegal will assist attorneys in all phases of the litigation process, from the initial filing through the discovery period and trial and onto post-trial findings and appeals.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for document organization and production, including number-stamping, redacting, photocopying, indexing of documents, and checking copies.
- Retrieves documents as requested by attorneys.
- E-Files court documents according to appropriate jurisdictional guidelines.
- Reviews transcripts to summarize highlights of a proceeding.
- Reviews and analyzes documents for production, under the guidance of an attorney.
- Categorizes documents by subject, prepares a chronology of facts, creates charts, and formulates calculations and statistical analyses.
- Coordinates the e-discovery process by interfacing with vendors and aids in selection of same, managing databases, assisting attorneys with field selection and key search terms.
- Prepares for depositions, gathers documents relevant to the deponent, and organizes exhibits.
- Keeps work organized by setting up and maintaining files, monitoring calendars, meeting deadlines, documenting actions, inputting information into file database and case management software and then confirming status with attorney.
- Organizes documents for review.
- Researches and analyzes law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, treaties, constitutions, newspapers, libraries, legal codes, etc.
- Conducts document searches and factual research, including searches on computerized systems when applicable.
- Retrieves, reviews and monitors online court dockets for active cases.
- Acts as liaison with various employees in order to oversee the progress of documents through secretarial and duplicating assistance, orders transcripts from reporting services and fulfills requests from outside counsel and others.
- Ensures proper indexing and filing of original legal documents.
- Prepares for trial and/or court proceedings.
- Organizes exhibits, files and all other supporting documents for trial and/ or court proceedings.
- Arranges transportation and setting up of files at court.
- Responsible for tracking and recording billable time.
- Works overtime when required and/or requested.
- Travels when assigned.
To perform the job successfully, the Employee should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data.
- Design - Demonstrates attention to detail
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Organization - Able to establish and maintain documents, files and offices in a standardized manner allowing ease of access. Strong organization skills.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality.
- Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Comprehends and interprets written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Professionalism - Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Initiative - Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Asks for and offers help when needed.
*Salary is commensurate with local market and level of experience.
Eighteen years ago, Diamond McCarthy was founded by senior lawyers from “Big Law” who had decades of success in handling complex litigation. DM is experienced in all facets of trial work, arbitration, and alternative dispute resolution. We tackle significant, complex, and cutting edge legal issues in our every day trial practice. Our reputation for excellence, client service, and results directly flows from the quality of our lawyers, paralegals and staff. DM hires people with the right attitude (strong work ethic, team-oriented approach, and focused on problem-solving). A national boutique with offices in Houston, Dallas, New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles, our teams handle disputes across the country and around the world, providing premier representation for our clients.
Role: Senior Paralegal
Apply for this job now.