The Principal York, adjacent to the train station and dating back to 1878, provides the first tangible glimpse of the ambitions for and investment in the new Principal hotel brand. All of the hotel’s 155 bedrooms have been given a beautiful new look and feel by interior architects Goddard Littlefair, whilst the newly refurbished public spaces include The Garden Room, with views across the hotel lawns to York Minster in the background. The hotel also has a new restaurant – The Refectory Kitchen & Terrace, serving fresh, seasonal produce from “God’s Own Country” – as well as a comfortable, cosy bar called the Chapter House.
Love food. Love your job. Create a career.
Chef for starters we offer a £500 Welcome Bonus*!!
Passion, drive, enthusiasm: that’s what we look for in our chefs.
Commis Chefs are a key member of our kitchen brigades; that’s why we will offer a fantastic £500 Welcome Bonus*! Would you need to relocate? Fear not, we offer chefs who need to relocate more than 50 miles a fantastic Relocation Package of £1500** plus a free two night stay for yourself or family to visit.
You’ll work in a busy and hardworking team environment, where you’ll continually learn and develop, and have the opportunity to join our Chef Development Programmes.
We know you love food: we want you to love your career just as much. We’ve already had great success with our bespoke in house Chef Academy, offering Level 2 & 3 qualifications that run up to Head Chef level.
Overview of the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Commis Chef to join our Kitchen team and support the effective running of our kitchen department. You will be responsible for the preparation and cooking of food to a consistently high standard and in accordance with established recipes and methods.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting the whole kitchen team to ensure the smooth running of the kitchen in order to exceed guest expectations.
- Have the desire to be trained to cover other sections of the kitchen as decided by the Senior kitchen team
- Ensure all dishes are correctly garnished and presented before being presented to the guest.
- Ensuring wastage is kept to a minimum and preventative wastage measures are fully understood.
- Ensuring the work area is kept clean, hygienic and organised and that all equipment/utensils in the section are correctly handled and maintained.
The Ideal Candidate
Previous experience of working within a busy kitchen in the same or a similar role
Most of all we are looking for someone with a real passion for food and the drive to succeed in a new role.
*Subject to Tax and NI
**Cannot be taken in conjunction with Welcome Bonus. Subject to Tax and NI.
- A competitive salary
- 28 days holiday each year, including bank holidays (this increases annually up to a maximum of 33 days)
- Hotel based incentive schemes
- Voluntary benefits including discounts on some travel, leisure time activities, health, retail and motoring
- Discounted accommodation within the group with colleague rates at our other hotels
- Long service awards which increase with service
- Excellent training and development opportunities within both the hotel and the company
- Financial rewards for delivering sensational service
- Free meals on duty
Role: Commis Chef £500 Welcome Bonus
Apply for this job now.