The Firm's Tax and VAT Group is the internal tax team of 18 people who deal with PwC's own tax affairs.
The Firm's Tax and VAT Group deals with all tax matters affecting the firm, from routine compliance through to advising the Firm's management on major tax structuring initiatives. Within the team there are subject matter experts on Partnership Tax and Business Tax; Overseas Tax; VAT; and Employee Tax.
The Partnership/Business Tax team is responsible for the tax affairs of PwC LLP and its UK subsidiary entities. The work is diverse from advising on matters as they affect the firm and/or its partners to the tax compliance and returns for PwC LLP and its subsidiary partnerships and companies. However, the team is not responsible for the personal tax returns of the partners. Similarly, preparation of the majority of corporate tax returns is now outsourced to the PwC Corporate Compliance Centre in Birmingham.
The Partnership/Business Tax team comprises one Senior Manager, supported by a Manager ("you") and a junior team member. The previous Manager postholder has taken early retirement after more than two decades in the role.
The Firm's Tax Group is largely based in PwC's London, Embankment Place office. However, in line with the firm's strategic direction, the successful recruit could be based in PwC's Birmingham office, which is the office base of the team's Employee Tax manager. With a Birmingham office base, there would be travel to London on a fairly regular basis, although the expectation would be for other members of the team to travel to Birmingham too.
Internal PwC candidates - should be meeting or exceeding expectations at their last performance appraisal when assessed against the PwC Professional attributes for Manager.
External candidates - should be established tax managers with 18 months+ experience in grade. Experience in an in-house tax role is desirable, but not essential as training will be given.
The role suits an experienced tax manager who is also a "self starter," capable of taking direction but also comfortable with leading themselves and others to implement and manage projects and processes.
The role is a full-time Tax Manager role.
Working within the Internal PwC Tax function provides a unique opportunity for involvement in the day to day tax matters of our large UK and International professional services organisation. The work is wide-ranging and varied.
Specific activities will include
- Working closely with the Senior Manager for UK Partnership and Business Tax on all aspects of the UK firm's technical and operational matters in this core area. This will enable the individual to build up the necessary knowledge, particularly in the area of Partnership Taxation.
- Assisting Head of Firm's Taxes and Senior Managers in the Firm's Tax Group on a wide range of UK and international tax matters in relation to Managing the Firm's overseas tax footprint; acquisitions; Intellectual property; transfer pricing and Country by Country reporting.
- Managing the outsourcing of tax compliance work, in particular the corporate tax compliance to the Birmingham Corporate Compliance Centre; and the capital allowance and R&D work to the relevant Tax LoS specialists.
- Being responsible for the preparation of the two main UK tax computations ie for PwC LLP, the partnership, and PwC Services Limited, the main service company. This will entail delegating to, managing and reviewing the work of the junior team member on a day-to-day basis, as well as undertaking the more complex areas of analysis themself.
- Preparing tax provisions for all the subsidiary companies and advising the Financial Reporting team on tax matters that impact the Financial Statements.
- Over time, gaining the knowledge to advise on technical matters as they affect the firm and/or its partners.
- Developing and implementing processes for changes such as those that will be required under "Making Tax Digital" and other tax transformation initiatives.
Essential skills needed for the role
- Candidates should be strongly numerate with an understanding of financial statements and accounting entries.
- Candidates must be a qualified accountant with a track record of Corporate and/or Business Tax experience.
- Good communication skills are very important. You will need to explain complex tax legislation to non-tax professionals, through a variety of formats - meetings, telephone conversations and in writing.
- Good technology skills are required, particularly in the use of Excel, and also familiarity with tax software, although training in the software used by PwC (Onesource) would be provided.
- Good personal and project organisation with the ability to deliver to deadlines, flexibly and under pressure.
- Experience in researching, interpreting and presenting tax and financial information.
- Proven track record on maintaining relationships, for example with their immediate team, with clients or across departments.
- Attention to detail.
Desirable skills sought for the role
- Partnership Tax experience is desirable but not essential, as the successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain this experience in the role.
- Industry expertise, gained in an in-house role is helpful.
We help organisations and the people who run them answer the big business questions. How should we raise finance? Where should we be based? How should we reward our people? With some 3,300 experts whose expertise covers every conceivable area of taxation, we're one of the UK's leading tax practices.
The skills we look for in future employees
All our people need to demonstrate the skills and behaviours that support us in delivering our business strategy. This is important to the work we do for our business, and our clients. These skills and behaviours make up our global leadership framework, 'The PwC Professional' and are made up of five core attributes; whole leadership, technical capabilities, business acumen, global acumen and relationships.
Learn more here
We work in a changing world which offers great opportunities for people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We seek to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool, as well as those who reflect the diverse nature of our society. And we aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths. Creating value through diversity is what makes us strong as a business and as an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
Learn more here
Role: Firm's Tax - Manager
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Not Specified,
Apply for this job now.