Encompass Community Services has been serving Santa Cruz County since 1973, providing a broad spectrum of social services to over 8000 children, individuals, and families annually. As the largest community-based, nonprofit human services provider in Santa Cruz County, we deliver quality, culturally competent, cost-effective services through a wide range of services related to family & social well-being, early childhood education, behavioral health, housing and more.
Child and Family Development Programs (CFDP) provides early childhood education, social services, and parent education to 1,000 families with young children each year. Offering this support as early as possible promotes healthy families and encourages parents to nurture their child's physical, social and cognitive development.
HEAD START - Join an exciting team of professionals making a difference in the lives of children and families! Head Start has been improving the lives of low-income children and families in Santa Cruz County since 1965 through high quality, comprehensive child development, and family support services. Head start supports school readiness and promotes healthy families through delivery of education, health, and social services. Head Start also provides quality training and support to employee's individualized professional growth and development. This is a great opportunity to be part of a learning community!
We currently have an opening for Early Head Start Teacher Assistant (TA), at one of our Toddler Centers in South County). Position is regular, full-time, year-round. Reporting to the Site Supervisor, the TA works in a team of three staff members: a Teacher Director, Teacher and the Early Head Start Teacher Assistant. The TA assists the Teacher/Teacher Director in day-to-day operation of the classroom with the goal of quality service delivery to children and families. Positions works Monday - Friday. Salary is dependent on education ($14.00-$16.99 / hour). Hourly pay differential for bilingual skills awarded upon qualification.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implementing developmentally appropriate curriculum to meet the needs of young children.
- Ensuring accurate, up-to-date record keeping/documentation within required deadlines.
- Assist in referring and supporting children with special needs
- Supporting parent involvement
- Demonstrate good judgment and problem-solving skills; seek assistance when needed; exercise discretion when speaking of clients and colleagues.
- Regular use of technology (computer, laptop)
- Twelve Early Childhood Education (ECE) Core Units & Child Development Associate Permit (eligible); A.S. in ECE is preferred
- Three ECE units in Administration & Supervision; 3 ECE units in Infant/Toddler (I/T) Development; Health, Safety & Nutrition Course
- Currently enrolled in a program with Education Plan leading to an A.A./A.S. in ECE
Upon hire, will have a Professional Development Plan with timelines reflecting a plan toward obtaining an AS degree and/or the units (including three I/T units) and/or training to ensure compliance with above requirements.
- Six months experience working in a licensed infant/toddler or preschool infant/toddler or preschool program
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse population and comply with program regulations.
- Knowledge of community and County resources (preferred).
- Ability to work effectively in a classroom teaching team
- Good command of English; Bilingual, English/Spanish-speaking abilities (preferred)
- Proof of citizenship or right to work in the United States.
- Criminal Record Clearance, Physical examination, TB, MMR (Measles) & Tdap (Pertussis) vaccine clearances before hire.
- Good Driving Record, Valid Driver's License and your own vehicle and vehicle insurance.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic computer literacy skills.
- Valid Driver's License and vehicle insurance.
- Flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends.
Regular, full-time position offers a compensation package that includes a comprehensive medical and dental insurance plan, 403(b) retirement plan, and paid holiday, vacation, sick time, 2 week paid, Winter Break and 1 week paid, Spring Break.
We are an equal opportunity employer. At Encompass we value the diversity of individuals, ideas, perspectives, insights and values, and what they bring to the workplace. If we find that your qualifications are a good fit with our current needs, you will be contacted with further instructions. Thank you for your interest in Encompass!