Company: SOUTHCOAST HEALTH
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
SouthCoast Health is Looking for A Full-Time Lab Assistant for our Pooler Location
Responsible for completing laboratory procedures as ordered by physician. Obtaining appropriate specimens to meet testing requirements determined by specific laboratory guidelines utilizing aseptic technique, as well as OSHA bloodborne pathogen standards. Knowledge of OSHA and CLIA.
- Knowledge of safety procedures for the lab and utilize universal precautions.
- Knowledge of how to use laboratory equipment properly.
- Ability to properly collect specimens.
- Ability to follow proper lab procedures and policies.
- Creates a caring and healing environment that keeps the patient and family at the center of care throughout their experience at SouthCoast.
- Properly identifies patient and appropriate patient care instructions. Performs venipuncture, and capillary punctures on patients. Identifies and labels specimens. Conducts laboratory tests on specimen.
- Communicates with and assists physicians, patients and coworkers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Accurately maintains patient logs with date, patient name, lab accession number, lab test ordered, and laboratory used to perform testing.
- Complies with OSHA standards.
- Utilizes appropriate reference laboratory requisitions with patient demographics information, billing information, test requested and appropriate diagnosis codes.
- Follows appropriate billing procedures, sample handling, and preparation as designated by reference laboratory.
- Performs daily maintenance, quality control, quality assurance, and sample analysis.
- Reviews and reports patient test results utilizing laboratory instrumentation and test kits.
- Logs physician orders in accession log. Documents in charts in accurate and timely manner.
- Consults with Medical Technologist or Lab Manager when questions arise concerning physician orders, questionable results, or equipment failure.
- Documents quality control and proficiency survey results.
- Maintains lab equipment.
High School graduate or equivalent. Prefer Associate Degree or Vocational School program for phlebotomy from an accredited college or technical school or equivalent experience. Prefer licensure, registry or certification, ASCP or equivalent. Minimum of 6 months experience as Phlebotomist.
Current BLS/CPR certification.
Competitive salary, health, HSA, dental, vision, life, long term disability, 401(k), supplemental insurance policies. Paid vacation, holidays, sick time, jury duty and bereavement leave. DFW, EOE, MFVD