Company: JACKSON-MADISON COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEM
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
NOTICE OF VACANCY
Jackson Madison County School System
Deadline: Until Filled
TITLE: ESL Teacher
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
TERM: 10 months (200-day contract), Exempt
JOB GOAL: To plan, organize, and implement an appropriate instructional program in an English as a second language learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential.
QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING:
- Bachelor's degree as required by the State of Tennessee
- Teacher's certificate with qualifying endorsement area
- FBI/TBI Fingerprint/Background Clearance every five (5) years
Alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent might find appropriate and acceptable
EVALULATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on evaluation of personnel.
- Creates and maintains an instructional climate that is conducive to learning.
- Assists with the identification of ESL students using appropriate assessment instruments.
- Plans and implements ESL instruction based on diagnosed needs of each individual student.
- Evaluates student performance in the ESL class and provides classroom teachers with input regarding progress.
- Maintains records on each student attending the ESL class.
- Attends professional development for increasing knowledge of ESL strategies and methodology.
- Provides information on ESL students to state and federal agencies when requested.
- Assists ESL students in understanding American culture and encourages all students to understand other cultures.
- Functions as a resource member of the local school staff.
- Fosters cooperative social behavior through group projects to assist students in forming appropriate relationships with other students and adults.
- Prepares for assigned classes and shows evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The Jackson-Madison County School System (JMCSS) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.