Company: REED TALENT SOLUTIONS
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
Salary: £43,400 - £47,000 per annum
We are Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S). We make sure the UK military is equipped, supported, and connected, as they protect life at home and overseas. We manage a vast range of complex projects to buy, support and supply vital equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need, so they can operate safely and effectively.Our people push for best-in-class every day - because it helps keep our nation safe. So whatever your background, whatever your skill set, if you’re driven to set new standards, find your place with us. Ready to see where your ambition will lead you?
Are you passionate about the defence of the United Kingdom, interested in working at the cutting edge of weapon technology, collaborating with private business and government on a national and international scale? If so, we are actively recruiting Weapons Engineers to join the Land domain here at DE&S.
As one of our Weapons Engineers, you will have the opportunity to work on high profile projects across a range of equipment, you could be a part of any of the following multi-disciplinary teams:
- Weapons Systems - covering all areas of Ordnance Munitions and Explosives (OME) and Lasers across Air, Land and Sea domains. You could be working first hand with rocket launch systems, laser technology and fire control systems.
- Defence General Munitions (DGM) - you would be leading the technical management of a portfolio of General Munitions supporting the Army, Navy and Air Force customers. Ensuring defence capability is maintained and developed to provide critical advantage to the end users.
- Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) - supporting the development of state-of-the-art weaponry. You would play a significant part in accelerating the delivery of DEW into the hands of the British Front-Line Forces, delivering Capability Demonstrator Projects to shape user requirements, and Concept Phase projects to take the first steps towards DEW acquisition.
- Land Equipment - covering various Land Equipment projects including Armoured Vehicles, Main Battle Tanks, Artillery and Multi Launch Rocket Systems.
Depending on the skillset of the successful candidate, some of these posts may fall under the wider Weapons Operating Centre.
Please note, no matter which duty station you are aligned to, occasional domestic travel to MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol will be required, as well as other UK sites.
Due to the nature of security requirements, these roles are open to sole UK nationals only and you may be required to undergo Developed Vetting once in post.
About the roleIn this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Manage the engineering delivery within your area of the portfolio, working collaboratively with other functions to plan and execute programmes of work as well as managing the technical resources required to input into these projects
- Engage with a wide range of stakeholders, chairing meetings and providing presentations to technical and non-technical stakeholders of all seniorities
- Lead project technical risk management activities
- Undertake detailed design reviews to ensure system suitability and acceptability
- Author and peer review Engineering and Safety Artefacts (including Engineering Management Plans) for the projects within your area of the portfolio
- Likely to hold formal Safety Responsible (SR) delegation
- Acting as a technical focal point for all queries relating to your area of the portfolio
To be successful with your application, you'll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Hold a HNC (i.e., Level 4 or higher) qualification in a relevant engineering or science discipline or be able to demonstrate equivalent experience
- Experience with system/equipment/project safety
- Experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
- You will have experience of systems engineering in the context of weapons systems
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical Decision Making (Practitioner)
- Technical Risk Management (Practitioner)
- Communicating and influencing
We're pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.