This works closely with specific department(s) and directly with the department pharmacist to maintain and improve pharmacy services for the assigned areas. This job prepares medication and delivers to assigned areas under the supervision of a pharmacist, interacts directly with the nursing staff to assure their medication related needs are met in a timely and accurate fashion, maintains documentation as required by law, and actively participate in medication audits to assure accurate charging of medications in the assigned areas
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at Ochsner's discretion.
Required - High School diploma or equivalent
Required - 2 years experience as a Pharmacy Technician.
Required - One year of college or completion of a para-professional pharmacy training program, or Certified Pharmacy Technician Licensure or National Certification
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of patient information.
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications and keyboard.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present information clearly and professionally to varying levels of individuals throughout the patient care process.
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of information.
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications, various software packages specific to role and keyboard.
- Skills to operate standard pharmacy and office equipment,
- Strong interpersonal skills.
• Assists pharmacist and other Technicians to maintain an efficient medication distribution system in order to provide safe and efficient patient care.
• Accurately compounds IV admixtures and other extemporaneous preparations utilizing aseptic techniques and proper pharmaceutical procedures.
• Accurately fills all pharmacy orders and automated dispensing machines, maintaining proper chain of custody and paperwork for controlled substances.
• Accurately and efficiently loads and unloads medications to automated dispensing machines.
• Maintains competency by completing assigned, mandatory in-services and all mailbox in-services.
• Performs required audits, unit inspections and QA procedures.
• Adapts behavior to the specific patient population, including but not limited to: respect for privacy, method of introduction to the patient, adapting explanation of services or procedures to be performed, requesting permissions and communication style.
Other related duties as required. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
Remains knowledgeable on current federal, state and local laws, accreditation standards or regulatory agency requirements that apply to the assigned area of responsibility and ensures compliance with all such laws, regulations and standards.
Complies with the Ochsner Health System Compliance & Privacy Program and Standards of Conduct, including the immediate reporting of any known or suspected unethical or questionable behaviors or conduct; patient/employee safety, patient privacy, and/or other compliance-related concerns.
Ochsner is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Physical and Environmental Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. (Constantly: activity or condition exists 2/3 or more of the time) to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Sedentary Work. Even though the weight lifted may be only a negligible amount, a job should be rated Light Work: (1) when it requires walking or standing to a significant degree; or (2) when it requires sitting most of the time but entails pushing and/or pulling of arm or leg controls; and/or (3) when the job requires working at a production rate pace entailing the constant pushing and/or pulling of materials even though the weight of those materials is negligible. NOTE: The constant stress and strain of maintaining a production rate pace, especially in an industrial setting, can be and is physically demanding of a worker even though the amount of force exerted is negligible.
Mechanical lifting devices (carts, dollies, etc.) or team lifts should be utilized.
Must be able to stoop, bend, reach and grab with arms and hands, manual dexterity.
Must be able to travel throughout and between facilities.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule (e.g. 24/7, weekend, holiday, on call availability).
Normal routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluid or tissue and as part of their employment, incumbents are not called upon to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid.
The incumbent has no occupational risk for exposure to communicable disease.