Remember the last time you opened a bottle of champagne, a cold beer after a hard days work or a bottle of sparkling mineral water to quench the thirst, well it was probably made by us, we are O-I and we love that we make more glass containers than anyone in the world.
O-I has more than a century of experience crafting pure, sustainable, brand-building glass packaging for many of the worlds best-known food and beverage brands. We are proud to provide high quality glass packaging for beer, wine, spirits, food, non-alcoholic beverages, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
This position performs a broad range of operation and documentation work in alignment with the optimization of testing plans, operations and installation of new technology (processes, systems, equipment). These initiatives contribute to O-I sustainability to reduce cost and improve process capability.
This role will initially work closely with the MAGMA Melting Process Leader and MAGMA Operations Engineer to learn the glass container melting process, melting equipment, and optimization needed in this area. On a longer term basis this role will primarily be responsible for the stabilization of the process control equipment and the associated operations, installation of new technology related to process control, training of personnel on the new technology, troubleshooting, and support of advanced glass container production melting equipment.
The Operations Process Control Engineer should have:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering Program, preferably Electrical, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering OR
- Associates of Science in Engineering Program, preferably Electrical, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering plus 5 or more years of experience in maintenance or engineering.
- Past co-op/internship/work experience in an industrial, shop floor setting.
- Experienced in basic troubleshooting of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Able to occasionally perform physically demanding job tasks
- Work in high temperature environments
- Bend, stretch, twist, or reach out
- Although tools/equipment are provided for working with heavy items, there may occasionally be needs to lift items up to 50 lbs
- Openness to different and new ways of doing things
- Complete commissioning activities related to process control equipment and systems for the deployment of O-Is advanced glass container production assets with a focus on melting equipment.
- Coordinate with O-I engineering and external contractors/vendors to accomplish projects throughout the advanced glass container production line.
- Provide training to other team members on various portions of the advanced production line.
- Support the creation of standard operating procedures, preventative maintenance schedules, work instructions, job hazard analysis, and risk assessments to be used in the operation of advanced glass container melting equipment.
- Report on key project performance metrics such energy usage, project progress, resources needed, etc.
- Report on analysis of various forms of data for the optimization of the operations process control of the advanced melting technology.
- Support the continuous operation of newly commissioned technology and equipment in various geographical locations (remote support and/or onsite support depending on circumstance).
- Develop technical skills through both internal and external trainings, including online, classroom, and hands on.
- Participate in continuous improvement activities from the identification of opportunities to the implementation of those items.
- Produce documentation for review in the form of reports, designs, drawings, data organization.
- Utilization of engineering tools, such as Microsoft Products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.), PTC Products (Creo, Windchill, etc.), DFC operating software, as well as hand tools in the completion of tasks.
- Developing and proposing innovative solutions to optimize process control operations.
- Troubleshooting of electrical schematics in the field including installation of new process control devices (thermocouples, various gauges, VFDs, motors, etc.).
50% - 80% travel, both domestic and international
Currently, there are two geographical locations this role will be responsible for providing support to, requiring both remote support and/or onsite support depending on project needs.
- Streator, Illinois
- Holzminden, Germany
It is anticipated that this technology will be replicated in additional locations, both domestically and/or internationally.
What we offer at O-I:
- Opportunity for future growth and advancement
- Generous, Award-winning 401(k) plan w/ employer contribution & match
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Relaxed and contemporary dress code
- Education Assistance program
- Adoption Assistance program
- and much more
If you are smart, passionate, innovative, culturally open, curious and collaborative, wed like to hear from you.
O-I is committed to fostering an inclusive environment that attracts and embraces the brightest minds and creates a culture that welcomes a diversity of ideas and perspectives while encouraging growth and rewarding performance.
O-I is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact O-I at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.