Surprise.com is on a mission to help people make a positive impact on themselves, their teams, and their communities. Our flagship product, Surprise for Teams, is the worlds first and only SuccessOS. Surprise for Teams makes it fun and irresistible to perform better, which creates a positive, long-lasting impact on people and their organizations.
Principal Character Illustrator is responsible for creating and growing our world of configurable, relatable, delightful 2D characters that represent our users. Our characters are the central component of our products, and are visible on every screen both as a headshot and as a full body in-motion.
The ideal candidate for this role is a senior, multi-talented 2D artist who is obsessed with details and who has worked on hundreds of character and ensemble designs. Beyond the design of individual characters, this person is responsible for pairing characters together to create visually appealing scenes and multi-cell storyboards that will be animated for use both in our app and as global marketing collateral.
What will you be doing?
- Leading an international team of 20+ illustrators, defining the brand style and 2D character art strategy for clothing, skin color, hair color, eye color, hairstyles, and accessories;
- Creating multi-cultural, multi-themed characters representing different job functions, dressed appropriately for the time and place of each scene;
- Ensuring every piece of character art is on brand and designed according to standards;
- Overseeing the creation of multi-cell storyboard art and scene composition;
- Working with the Head of Animation Studio to produce all required assets for bringing storyboards to life;
- Innovating and expanding on the universe daily, driving the creation of new styles and character configurations.
What are we looking for?
- 5+ years as a lead 2D artist, delivering art/asset creation for multiple mobile/console titles;
- 3+ years experience in 2D character art and character design;
- Able to create in various perspectives, and bring forth personality through facial expressions and postures;
- Razor-sharp attention to detail, color combinations/pallets, and scene composition;
- Ability to design modern, relatable clothing, hair styles, and ethnicities appropriate for multiple cultures/countries around the world'
- Able to establish a consistent and stunning brand style that enhances our app experience.
At Surprise.com, were committed to hiring builders who are inspired by our teams guiding principle: to derive a tremendous sense of purpose from the inner quest for excellence itself, being driven from within to make anything we touch be the best it can be. We take pride in developing deep user understanding, obsess about the details, and go the extra mile to show our users we love them. We are first and foremost customer driven engineering, product and design collaborate as equals to create a phenomenal end user experience. Were also home for numerous internal teams building internally facing tools for customer service, finance, and others, to keep the operation afloat.
- A team of extraordinary people, working hard to better themselves and further our mission;
- Competitive comp and equity;
- Company-paid medical, dental and vision;
- And, of course, we get Surprises internally.