Company: WESTCHESTER COUNTRY CLUB
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
Seasonal 2021 (May, 2021 through October, 2021)
This position is responsible for our Gun Club - fine-dining section at the Beach Club. The Sous Chef works alongside Executive Chef to manage daily kitchen activities, including overseeing staff, aiding with menu preparation, ensuring food quality and freshness, and monitoring ordering and stocking.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Accountable for daily pre-shift meetings that give an overview of events and explain assignments for cooks where they may be needed according to production and business needs. It includes à la carte menus
- Participate in daily pre- shift meetings in order to answer FOH staff questions daily; educate on ingredients in menus.
- Ability to work and or oversee any BOH Culinary hourly position as well as receiving food and culinary department goods.
- Responsible for executing daily purchasing according to par levels.
- Ensure all functions are set up 15 minutes prior to the start time and all cooks at their stations.
- Responsible for maintaining the highest sanitation level in the culinary department by enforcing weekly and daily audits and closing lists.
- Responsible for adhering to all state, county and city sanitation standards. Must train and uphold standards with the other department BOH staff on proper food handling and sanitation procedures daily.
- Responsible for updating menus for seasonality and as deemed necessary.
- Adhere to all WCC Management Guidelines, Policies, & Procedures (including WCC employee handbook, Culinary Department Guidelines and Mission statement)
- Carry out all reasonable requests made by the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef, in a professional and timely fashion.
- Work schedule: Flexible to work overtime, particularly during high season (May-September). Some weeks may include working 6 or sometimes 7 days.
- Available to work Weekends, Nights, Early AM shifts and Holidays.
Education and Experience:
- Culinary Degree preferred and a minimum 3 Years in a Culinary Supervisory position with a large staff
- Up to date Food Handlers / Sanitation license, with a clear understanding and commitment to impeccable Sanitation practices.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
- Strong understanding, demonstrated through previous experience of improvising new dishes utilizing by-products.
- Thorough understanding of proper cooking methods.
- Computer Proficient in Microsoft Office (Microsoft Excel, MS Outlook MS Word).
- Must be able to communicate & interact professionally with members & employees in English language.
Physical, sensory and motor demands:
- Able to move fast and multi-task in a fast paced, high stress / pressure environment (Heat and Action).
- Frequent Standing for extended periods of time.
- Frequent Walking to collect or deliver goods in various kitchens and or reception areas (buffet set ups).
- Regular Lifting up to 50 Lbs.
- Must possess good physical fitness, visual acuity and sense of smell to work in the kitchen and bake shop safely.