This position is a special operations position located at JB Little Creek-Fort Story in Virginia, candidate must be local to the military base or willing to relocate to become local. Candidates must be licensed at the independent level in the state of Virginia as a Social Worker (LCSW), Therapist (LMFT), Mental Health Counselor (LPC), or Psychologist.
This position has the primary responsibility of providing the full breadth of MFLC counseling services to military service members and their families at the Special Operations Command (SOCOM). This position requires a secret level security clearance and must abide by the rules governing such secret clearance. The counselor is responsible for providing MFLC services including non-medical, short-term, walk-around counseling, training/health and wellness presentations, and consultation to installation command regarding behavioral health issues with a unique understanding of the special operations cultural and security issues.
- Provides non-medical, short-term, solution focused, walk-around counseling directly to service and family members of the SOCOM. Services include assessment, brief counseling and consultation, action planning, referral to resources (assuring linkage as appropriate), and follow-up as indicated.
- Delivers training and health and wellness presentations and other base/installation activities as requested/directed.
- Enters counselor activity data daily through smart phone, or web application to assure that reporting is accurate from assigned installation, while maintaining client / service member confidentiality.
- Cultivate and maintain direct relationships with installation personnel within the SOCOM. Responsible for development of an effective and professional working relationship with the installation POC (Point of Contact) and with the SOCOM leadership.
- Create a presence on the installation in which the service and family members feel comfortable approaching the counselor and recognize the program to be confidential. Establishes and maintains working relationships with community resources and provides appropriate linkages for service members and their families. Partners with POC to provide MFLC services in a manner that addresses the needs of the installation.
- Provides MFLC response to critical incidents, surge, and special requests as directed by the POC and approved by the Office of Secretary of Defense (OSD) program manager. Counselor will flex schedule to respond to urgent requests as needed.
- Manages duty to warn and restricted reporting situations according to Department of Defense (DoD) protocol and staffs the cases with Regional Supervisor/Regional Director.
- Communicates with Regional Supervisors and participates in regular individual and group supervision, sharing information regarding trends and issues on the installations to which the counselor is assigned.
- Participates in regular in-services/training, Quality Improvement committees or other contract activities as assigned/appropriate.
Other Job Requirements
- Prior services as MFLC and/or CYB counselor strongly preferred.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited graduate program in a mental health related field, or social work.
- Valid unrestricted counseling license from a State, District of Columbia, US Territory or Commonwealth that grants authority to provide counseling services as an independent practitioner.
- For assignments in the 50 states, counselors shall be licensed or certified in the state in which the client is receiving services.
- A minimum of two years of post-masters licensure counseling supervised clinical experience
- Requires ability to engage and communicate with military members or children as assigned, in order to accomplish job functions, and to respond quickly to emergent situations in any physical location on a military installation and/or within a school setting, which includes the need to traverse short and/or long distances within the base to both indoor and outdoor locations, to maneuver through rugged, outdoor or uneven locations (e.g., steep inclines, stairs, grass), and work in outdoor weather and other military base conditions.
- May require travel to locations outside of a military base in a variety of physical environments. Due to the nature of working on military installations or related worksites, counselors may need to comply with various site specific requirements to work at designated locations. For example, for some assignments, counselors will need to have certain immunizations or vaccinations and provide record of receipt.
- Secret Level security clearance.
- Pass a National Agency Check and Inquiries (NACI) Clearance and an Installation Records Check (IRC), Criminal History Background Check and FBI Fingerprints Check.
- Ability to prove US Citizenship and must speak fluent English.
- Understanding, sensitivity and empathy for service members and their families. Ability to develop trusting, helping relationships. Ability to work effectively with individuals and families from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Prior military service/military family member and/or strong familiarity with military culture and command structure; ability to establish productive relationships with high ranking military personnel.
- Vehicle Operator's License Requirement: Unless specifically waived by the FEDSIM COR, all contractor personnel providing counseling support at Government locations shall possess a valid U.S. state vehicle operator’s license. As a condition for employment under this contract, contractor personnel may be required to pass all tests for and obtain a U.S. military vehicle operator’s permit for commercial sedans and similar, for use at Temporary Duty (TDY) locations, if required.
General Job Information
Military Family Life Counselor
Masters: Behavioral Health (Required), Masters: Social Work (Required)
License and Certifications - Required
Current licensure required for this position that meets State, Commonwealth or customer-specific requirements - Care Mgmt, DL - Driver License, Valid In State - Other, Must be an independently licensed behavioral health clinician - Care Mgmt, Secret Security Clearance - Other
License and Certifications - Preferred
Magellan Health, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled.
Every employee must understand, comply with and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their
position; and comply with all applicable legal, regulatory, and contractual requirements and internal policies and procedures.