Why join Seegrid?
Seegrid is the leading provider of self-driving industrial vehicles. We develop and deliver mobile robots and enterprise software for global leaders in logistics, manufacturing, warehousing, and e-commerce. Our suite of solutions includes vision-guided vehicles, fleet management software, actionable analytics, and best-in-class service and support. Our unique and proven technology sets us apart—our automation solutions have safely driven millions of autonomous miles in real production facilities without a single personnel safety incident. We are seeking energetic, bright, and friendly people to help achieve our vision: to fortify global supply chains and create profitable economies with safe, seamless, and smart mobile robotics solutions.
The Role: Machine Learning Engineer (Blue Labs)
As a Machine Learning Engineer at Seegrid, you will be an integral part of Blue Labs, which is tasked with both long-range speculative research and risk mitigation for shorter-term projects that involve significant uncertainty. You will report to the lead of one of our Labs teams. This role is highly dynamic and variable, with projects ranging across our stack, from low-level robot control & analysis to fleet coordination & optimization to enterprise-wide analytics & recommendation generation. Due to our broad scope, Blue Labs team members are expected to be generalists with a specialty: we all bring unique skills and perspectives to the project, while contributing in any way we can. You will be the team's expert on machine learning, and will bring your expertise and point of view to all of your team's projects. However, there will be times when machine learning is not the appropriate tool for the job, and you will bring your other skills to bear. The successful candidate will have a deep background in machine learning, have applied ML tools in depth in multiple domains, and be conversant in general software engineering. Adaptability is key, as projects and domains will change regularly. We can guarantee a zero probability of boredom in this role! If you're interested in everything, enjoy solving hard problems, and are looking for a challenge, this is the job for you!
Core Responsibility for this role:
Provide machine learning expertise and other technical contributions to a team exploring new ideas and mitigating risk.
The successful completion of your first year looks like:
- Key technical contributions to one or more fast paced R&D efforts with a critical machine learning component, usually ending in a functional demonstrator or prototype
- Participate in at least one discovery project, where an idea or area is explored
- Work with our Engineering Ops team to build out the toolchain you'll need
- Build an operational knowledge of Seegrid's technology and available data sets
- Integrate into Seegrid's unique technology development process, while building a thorough understanding of the material handling domain
- Engage with other teams to broaden your knowledge and establish working relationships
Responsibilities will consist of:
- Conceive, propose, review, and execute projects advancing the state of the art in robotics as part of an agile cross-functional team
- Research and develop machine learning systems to solve difficult problems in the space of material handling, fleet management, and flow optimization
- Explore and visualize data to deeply understand a problem space, then identify and implement appropriate models and approaches
- Supervise the data acquisition process as needed
- Provide technical leadership in applying machine learning to the problems at hand
- Rapidly iterate and experiment with potential features, concepts, and products
- Communicate your results to technical and non-technical audiences
- Be an integral part of the engineering team building the next generation of mobile robots
- Education / Experience:
- MS degree in Computer Science or related field with a focus on machine learning
- 3+ years of experience with machine learning in research or industrial environments, with production experience strongly preferred
- Experience with ML frameworks such as: Tensorflow, Pytorch, TensorRT, Fast.ai, etc.
- Ability to understand recent ML research papers and adapt the results to solve real world problems
- Experience with applying machine learning to multiple domains
- Fluent in Python, C++, or other modern languages used in systems programming and technical computing domains
- Solid understanding of common software development tools, processes, and environments. For instance: source control, IDEs, agile methodologies, Linux, etc.
- Experience with rapid prototyping and experimentation
- Ability to clearly explain and communicate complex technical topics
- Application of machine learning to aspects of robotics or automation
- Familiarity with the goals and methods of industrial research & development
- Familiarity with machine learning operations
- Familiarity with cloud machine learning offerings, such as Google's AI Platform and Azure Machine Learning
- Strong software engineering & architecture skills
- Thorough knowledge of Linux
- Please call out any other areas of particular expertise or interest that may be applicable in your cover letter
Seegrid is embracing a remote workforce, so this position can be remotely located anywhere in the US or at HQ in Pittsburgh, PA. We have been recognized regionally and nationally as a Best-Place-to-Work and we are proud of our 97% employee retention rate. We'd love to have you join us!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Seegrid is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/People with Disabilities/Protected Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Powered by JazzHR