***POSITION IS OPEN DUE TO A MEDICAL LEAVE OF ABSENCE. DURATION OF POSITION IS UNKNOWN.
Title: Laborer Division: Operations
Job Purpose Statement: Perform duties to provide a variety of general laborer and support services throughout District facilities.
Reporting Structure: Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Pump out tanks. Hose down, scrub, scrape and clean plant facilities, tanks and equipment.
2. Pump sludge, load and unload trucks, clean drains, ditches, and culverts.
3. Remove screenings, grit, and debris from headworks, as needed or assigned.
4. Mow and trim lawn, trim bushes, rake grass, leaves and trash, and perform
general building and grounds maintenance. Maintain equipment as necessary.
5. Prepare surfaces for painting, and paint equipment, piping, walls, panels and other items
throughout the facility, as assigned.
5. Remove snow from walkways and roadways. Spread salt on walkways and roadways. Maintain equipment as necessary.
6. Carry or hold materials, supplies or tools.
7. Replace light bulbs and diffusers as required.
8. Provide assistance to maintenance and/or operating personnel.
9. Collect and dispose of trash and other basic housekeeping tasks.
10. Wash and clean vehicles, tools and equipment.
11. Pick up equipment and/or supplies as needed using District vehicle.
Physical demands commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
Lift up to 1 lb. up to 15% of the time, Over 1 lb. up to 5 lbs. over 15% up to 40% of the time, Over 5 lbs. up to 25 lbs. up to 15% of the time may be carried several hundred yards during the day, Over 25 lbs. up to 60 lbs. up to 15% of the time may be required to carry several feet, Over 60 lbs. up to 15% of the time.
Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
Inside, Outside, Both, Extremes of cold, Cold temperature changes, Extremes of hot, Hot temperature changes, Wet, Humid, Noise, Vibration, Hazards, Fumes, Odors, Poor ventilation.
Job Qualification Requirements
Knowledge: Ability to comprehend both oral and written instructions in the English language. High school graduate or equivalent.
Experience: Experience as a laborer or utility worker is strongly desired.
Machines, Tools, Equipment (Office and Industrial), Software: Skidsteer loader, fork lift truck, lawn mowing equipment (string trimmers, etc.), riding and push mowers, pressure washer, power hand tools (saws, drills, etc.), sand blaster, hoists/Com-a-longs, snow blowers, pick-up truck (w/snow plow attach.) tractors and associated equipment, ladders and scaffolds, power buffers, portable pumps and compressors, power snakes and rodders, electric valve operators, and NSWRD vehicles and trailers. PAPR/PPE and various safety equipment.
Licenses/Certifications: Employees in this position shall be required to be legally authorized to operate a motor vehicle for work-related purposes in the State of Illinois.
The North Shore Water Reclamation District (NSWRD) is a municipal body which was organized in 1914 under the North Shore Sanitary District Act of 1911. The NSWRD owns and operates more than 100 miles of intercepting sewer lines and 10 pumping stations which collect and convey wastewater from local sewer systems to Water Reclamation Facilities (WRFs) in Gurnee, Waukegan, and Highland Park, Illinois. The District's mission is to defend and preserve our natural resources and it is dedicated to the beneficial reuse of our water resources. For over a century, the NSWRD has achieved an outstanding record of protecting the environment, especially Lake Michigan, due to both consistently upgrading its infrastructure and the diligence of the clean water professionals who work for the District.
Role: Laborer (Utility Worker) - Temporary
Location: Highland Park,
Apply for this job now.