Updated: May 2021
Terms: Regular full-time, hourly
Hours and Shift: 12:00pm-8:00pm M-TH; Friday 10:00am-6:00pm / some weekend work required.
Benefits: Health insurance, long-term disability, and life insurance premiums paid 100%, dental insurance premium shared. Access to 403(b) retirement plan, FSA/HSA health savings accounts, and various ancillary insurance plans.
Reports To: MRF Maintenance Manager
About Eureka Recycling
Eureka Recycling is a nonprofit, social enterprise organization that understands that unique and diverse perspectives are essential to be able to achieve our mission and live our values of —Visionary Leadership, Strong Teams and Community, Respect, Caring and Wholeness, Sustaining and Enduring and Honesty and Integrity.
Eureka Recycling's mission is to demonstrate that waste is completely preventable, not inevitable. Our work bridges the gap between our vision for a zero-waste future and the realities of today with tangible, real-world solutions.
If you are interested in working with highly committed team members to change systems that perpetuate waste and the problems it causes for our health, economy and communities; participating in organizational leadership in a collaborative setting; and supporting our initiative to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do, Eureka Recycling may be the right place for you!
Ensure operation of MRF (Materials Recovery Facility ) equipment through preventative maintenance and repair. Duties and responsibilities include completing preventative maintenance, troubleshooting malfunctions to identify best method of repair and to ensure optimum run time and machine operation, ensuring compliance with safety policies and procedures, and generating and maintaining required documents.
- Responsible for performing daily inspections of equipment including belts and seams, examining form and texture of parts.
- Complete weekly inspection checklist items and document completion on a weekly basis
- Locate sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; troubleshoot malfunctions. Report all issues with equipment to maintenance management.
- Ensure smooth operation of machinery by completing preventive maintenance requirements on engines, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and production machines; following diagrams, sketches, operations manuals, manufacturer's instructions, and engineering specifications.
- Make repairs to MRF equipment without assistance:
- Repair belt and seam issues on conveyers
- Rebuild screen decks;
- Change pulleys, gear boxes and bearings;
- Remove defective parts by dismantling devices; use hoists and hand power tools
- Perform maintenance on heavy equipment (vehicles), such as changing hydraulic hoses and cylinders.
- Promote a safe work environment, make recommendations and implement changes in processes, practices, and equipment that will improve safety for the organization.
- Report immediately all accidents, injuries, and near misses.
- Follow lock-out, tag-out procedures as specified for all equipment.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with all employee guidelines and safety policies.
- Operate a two-way radio to communicate with staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned. All maintenance staff may be required to do some basic maintenance activities, such as shoveling and cleaning screens.
- 3 year experience working in equipment maintenance - specific experience in MRF equipment not required
- Able to identify what is “normal” and what is “troublesome” with the equipment
- Mechanical aptitude, ability to solve a wide range of problems by exploring alternatives and proposing creative and effective solutions
- Effective communication skills, both verbally and in writing, along with the ability to do basic math.
- Ability to plan work and set priorities in an effective and efficient manner.
- Drug and alcohol testing are part of the qualification requirements due to the safety sensitivity of the position.
- Ability to be flexible and stay later than shift when there are breakdowns or maintenance needs.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to stand, sit, or walk for long periods of time.
- Proficient in English.
- Commitment to the environment and to working with community-based organizations and culturally diverse communities
- Dedication to our mission of zero-waste
- Experience with composting and recycling
- Welding Experience
- Works indoors and outdoors; subject to seasonal and adverse weather conditions.
- Subject to noise from equipment operation. Hearing protection required.
- May climb in and out of equipment; bending at the waist; reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; carrying; pushing and pulling.
- Must have dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of buttons and levers and use of feet to control pedals on equipment.
- Work will require occasional weekend and/or late evening work.
Apply Online at #removed#
Affirmative Action Policy Statement:
Eureka Recycling will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or affectional orientation.