COMPANY: TEACHER RETIREMENT SYSTEM OF TEXAS
JOB TYPE: Permanent, FullTime
The Data Engineer – Warehouse and Business Intelligence, performs advanced (senior-level) data analysis and architectural work for TRS’ Financial department. Work involves leading initiatives to develop and implement data analytics-driven solutions to meet critical business objectives. This position serves as liaison and technical expert between IT technical teams and the internal customers (business intelligence and data analytics team) of the data warehouse. May supervise the work of others. Works under minimal supervision with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement.
Duties and Responsibilities
Data Engineer, Warehouse and B.I
- Works closely with internal customers regarding their specific data needs to develop the requirements for data subject areas needed in the Data Warehouse.
- Captures the inventory of data sources and dashboards to prepare and manage integrated data.
- Acts as the IT knowledge leader on data warehousing and data analytics to the business.
- Ensures data warehouse implementations meet business expectations and coordinates customer acceptance testing and training.
- Ensures the customer can exploit the data warehouse solutions and helps identify additional possible uses of information; anticipates future needs and opportunities.
- Assists in the identification and integration of potential new data sources.
- Designs and develops ETL pipelines that extract data from various sources and load into the data warehouse or other systems.
- Ensures that controls to verify the accuracy and consistency of data are implemented and monitored.
- Provides ongoing operational support of the enterprise data warehouse, continued development and enhancement of the data warehouse, automation of daily data extracts and external system feeds, and development and enhancement of current dashboards.
- Performs related work as assigned
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in computer information systems, computer science, data management, information systems or information science or a related field.
- High School diploma or equivalent and additional directly related experience may substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Three (3) years of experience in financial/accounting data warehouse, including dimensional modeling, ETL pipeline design & development, data management, data analysis, process measurement, and metrics management.
- Three (3) years of experience working closely with business analytics teams and data analysts.
- Two (2) years of experience with PowerBI or equivalent modern data visualization package.
- One (1) Experience with Talend Studio and Data Integration or equivalent modern ETL package.
- Experience with metadata-driven ETL templates.
- Successful track record of Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse solution implementations (design, implementation, data visualization and ongoing support/maintenance) with extensive interaction with business users.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment working in a cross-functional team environment; including project management skills utilizing business and technical resources.
- Ability to apply data warehouse architecture theories and concepts to create business solutions.
- Thorough understanding of ETL (extract/transform/load) processing methods, underlying data warehouse data models, security, and BI products.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
- Experienced in Agile methodologies & DevOps approach to maintaining pipelines and databases.
- Recent experience with PowerBI (both cloud and on-premises).
- Recent experience with Talend.
- SQL and T-SQL knowledge.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Emerging data and analytics technologies (i.e. Hadoop, Spark, MongoDB, Azure Data Lake, etc.)
- Cloud platforms and development patterns (i.e. AWS, Azure, MapReduce, etc.)
- Machine-learning, statistical analysis, artificial intelligence, predictive analytics.
- Relational and non-relational data structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Metadata management and associated processes.
- Web services (REST, SOAP, XML, WSDL, JSON).
- Data encryption and secure transmission practices (SSL, SSH, SFTP, Certificates, PKI, OAUTH2).
- Highly complex problem solving and critical thinking, and operating computers and applicable computer software.
- Planning, organizing, and coordinating work assignments to effectively meet frequent and/or multiple deadlines, handling multiple tasks simultaneously, and managing conflicting priorities and demands.
- Project management and system development life cycle concepts.
- Client/user interaction to determine system requirements.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Strong technical zeal with a passion for solving complex problems.
- Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
- Work effectively in a professional team environment.
- Work in an Agile development environment.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires:
- normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies;
- marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements;
- constant use of personal computers, copiers, printers, and telephones;
- the ability to move about the office to access file cabinets and office machinery;
- frequent sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position; and
- the ability to work under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
Must be able to:
- regularly, reliably, and punctually attend work;
- work extended hours as necessary;
- travel occasionally for work assignments and trainings;
- show flexibility and adaptability toward changes in assignments and work schedules;
- adhere to the agency’s internal management policies and procedures; and
- exhibit work behaviors consistent with agency core values.
- provided by Dice