Role: Laboratory Manager - Microbiological
Hours: 37.5 per week
SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. Trusted all over the world, SGS is a market leader because we put 100% passion, pride and innovation into everything we do. We encourage new ideas. We welcome people who challenge the way we do things. And we will be 100% committed to helping you reach your full potential.
We have an excellent new opportunity for a Laboratory Manager to join our global organisation. The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for;
- Leading the delivery of the laboratory operational services for Ashby Microbiological, ensuring customer requirements are met, interfacing with customers on a regular basis.
- The delivery of budgeted laboratory revenues and profits (local contribution), by ensuring efficient and appropriate use of resources/facilities and the operational capacity and capability to deliver valued services to customers.
- Ensuring effective deployment and employment of motivated and competent people who are consistently able to deliver high quality and valued laboratory services to meet and exceed customer expectations within the business.
- Overall responsibility for the delivery of the laboratory services in accordance with customer and company objectives, ensuring all samples are processed for analysis and reports of analysis are issued within turnaround times agreed with customers.
- Ensure all members of the laboratory teams follow the correct methods and procedures when carrying out their duties and to ensure consistent and accurate service to clients.
- Review methods, procedures, training matrices & risk assessments, amending/introducing any that are non-existent or out of date, to ensure conformance with the relevant standards, client/internal audits and HSE
- To authorise both draft and finished lab test reports and invoices as required ensuring accurate and timely reports are issued to clients and efficient invoicing to assist in the achievement of laboratory targets.
- Ensure that the laboratory equipment is fit for purpose and that the laboratory staff are trained and comply with the required standards/methods.
- Ensure effective two-way communication with team members to achieve appropriate levels of understanding of, and commitment to, appropriate business objectives.
- Work closely with the Senior Technical Manager to ensure that new business is explored and appropriate growth opportunities maximised.
- Ensure all employees have the appropriate level of skills, knowledge and experience in order to provide a high quality service to customers, and to provide access to relevant developmental opportunities that will continually improve our services and help realise personal career goals, instigating training activities when required.
- Drive performance management at appropriate levels, supported by adherence to the Company’s Performance Management framework, by appraising, coaching, counselling and developing direct reports, ensuring each individual has a set of objectives and is given an annual performance appraisal to ensure effective communication of individual, team & business goals and address any areas for improvement immediately and in a constructive manner.
BENEFITS AT SGS
A competitive base salary is on offer, plus an excellent benefits package offering discount schemes, private health cover, life cover, and a contributory stakeholder pension scheme.
At SGS, we have an open corporate and international culture, we offer a dynamic work environment in a leading global company. Our high professional standards and our sustainability approach guarantee you a future-oriented work environment. We invest in our employees for the long term and we are committed to supporting your development within the company.
- Considerable experience in a service industry related to the food and non- food sector.
- Experience of directly communicating with clients and successfully resolving client’s issues/complaints.
- In-depth technical knowledge of testing activities and standards within the food and non-food industry in particular the requirements under ISO 17025.
- Able to identify and capitalise on business development/efficiency opportunities to ensure sustainable revenues at acceptable margins.
- Good communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Able to adopt a flexible approach to work and react effectively to a rapidly changing environment.
- Working knowledge of effective people management techniques, e.g performance management, team working etc.
- Able to work under own initiative and with a high degree of autonomy & maturity.
- Working knowledge of LIMS.
- Understanding and knowledge of H&S procedures such as risk assessments, chemical handling and confined space entry, etc.
- First degree/higher qualification or equivalent - i.e. BSc/HNC.
- Knowledge of IT systems, particularly MS Office applications.
- Sound working knowledge of analytical science business activities within OGC / Environmental.
- An understanding of ISO 9000 quality systems and procedures.
- Experience as a team leader/senior operator within the petro-chemical sector.
- Experience of working within budgetary guidelines and ensuring effective cost control mechanisms appropriate to the needs of the business.
- Full driving licence for use in the UK
- Relevant management qualification/training e.g. ILM, NEBBS, BA/MBA, etc.
- Relevant professional qualification/membership of industry body e.g. RSC.
Role: Laboratory Manager
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Ashby-De-La-Zouch, East Midlands
Apply for this job now.