- Providing routine administrative and clinical tasks to maintain a smooth clinic flow for patients and clinicians.
- The duties of Medical Assistants may vary from clinic to clinic, depending on the size, location, and type.
- In accordance to state law the Medical Assistants will provide basic support services to patients, including infants, children, adolescents and adults in a community clinic environment, and under the direct supervision of clinicians and nursing supervisor.
- Ensuring quality of services meets clinic standards of excellence and the satisfaction of patients.
Patient Services: Ensures that clients/patients receive quality, timely, professional services in accordance with Clinic’s mission and values.
- Performs standard patient-related tasks according to Clinical policies and procedures and at the direction of clinicians, ensuring a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients, including:
- Setting up exam rooms prior to clinic sessions; ensuring all necessary supplies are stocked and available.
- Assisting doctors with examinations and other procedure s relating to direct patient care.
- Performing and recording information on patients’ vital signs, vision screening, audiometric screenings, spirometric tests, EKGs, and venipuncture.
- Providing information to patients relating to referrals, follow up appointments and test results.
- Conducting birth control and pregnancy counseling sessions for patients upon certified birth control training.
- Ability to utilize computer and computer programs for data entry (i2i, EHR, CAIR, etc).
- Performs data entry on all vaccines administered in to the California Immunization Registry (CAIR) and documents according to Vaccine Process Policy and Procedure.
- Monitors inventory of medical supplies.
- Completion of skill competencies yearly as directed by Nurse Manager.
- Performs a wide variety of duties relating to collecting samples and processing routine lab tests:
- Obtains, collects and labels blood, urine and other specimens in accordance with regulations and patient policy; packages and sends specimens in the appropriate manner for transport to outside laboratories or storage.
- Performs and reads routine lab tests such as urinalysis, urine pregnancy, hemoglobin and strep tests; ensures proper preparation of laboratory specimens to be read by clinicians.
- Cleans/sterilizes all used equipment, disposes of all specimens and waste according to health and safety guidelines.
- Sets up/closes laboratory; maintains equipment and necessary solutions in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Performs controls and temperatures on lab equipment.
- Completion of CLIA lab competencies yearly as directed by Nurse Managers.
- Monitors inventory of laboratory supplies; orders more as needed.
- Ensures all documentation regarding tests, specimens and supplies is completed and maintained in accordance with clinic procedures and requirements.
- Covers shifts in laboratory when assigned.
- Assists with patient flow including receiving/greeting patients; requesting charts; checking/making appointments; answering the telephone; and referring patients to appropriate person.
- Assist in the medical home model by providing patients the following upon discharge:
- Process patients’ charts after their visit and make follow up appointment(s) for next visit(s) as necessary.
- Provide patients with laboratory requisitions and instructions for lab services to Cedar Sinai or Quest Diagnostic as necessary.
- Review specialty care referrals for completion.
- Provide patient with referral appointments within the Clinic and process paperwork accordingly.
- Process and book appointments for mammograms and/or ultrasounds.
- Distribute reference maps to various labs and hospitals (Cedars Sinai, LAC/USC County General, and/or California hospital).
- Review medical chart and superbill for completion, accuracy and organization.
- Review prescriptions for outside pharmacy services and provide to patients.
- Provide information on community resources as appropriate.
- Account for superbills daily and provide to clinic manager to batch at the end of the shift.
- Receives and treats all patients with the utmost respect and professionalism.
Compliance: Ensures services and all documentation comply with CDC guidelines, OSHA and CLIA regulations, contractual obligations and funding sources.
- Follows established safety, environmental, and infection control policies; ensures the handling of hazardous waste in compliance with medical waste policies and procedures.
- Participates in professional growth and development opportunities such as educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Maintains current CPR certificate and documentation on mandatory requirements such as TB testing, medical examinations and competency standards.
- Performs all duties following established safety, environmental, and infection control policies.
Communications and Problem-Solving: Ensures effective, professional communications within the Clinic setting and effectively resolves routine problems relating to nursing services:
- Listens to patients’ complaints and concerns and works to resolve them independently; refers patients to clinicians or appropriate manager if unable to resolve issues to their satisfaction.
- Ensures patient confidentiality; demonstrates complete discretion when discussing client information.
- Performs clinic support duties such as entering data into the computer, recording statistical information, processing medical record requests, filing documents and other clerical tasks necessary for a smooth and efficient delivery of services.
- Cross-trains in other duties to provide support during absences, crisis situations or heavy workloads.
- Performs related duties as assigned by clinicians or supervisor.
Physical Activity:Performs all or some of the following tasks during the workday: standing and walking much of the day; plus reading, writing/typing, speaking, listening and sitting
When performing patient care:
- May occasionally lift/carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Will perform duties requiring a full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients,
- Will utilize manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination.
- Will experience frequent exposure to potentially infectious agents, communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparation and other conditions common to a physician's office.
- Will need normal/corrected vision and hearing to within normal range.
- May work under stressful conditions and/or work irregular hours.
Equipment Used:Standard office equipment such as telephone, computer, printer, fax, copy machine and medical equipment.
When working in patient care, the incumbent will use various personal protective clothing and equipment and utilize the full range of items associated with medical care in an outpatient clinic including blood pressure cuff; gloves and other personal protective equipment; thermometer, scale, stethoscope, and EKG machine; venipuncture, audiometry and spirometry equipment; routine lab testing supplies and equipment, and similar.
Position Requirements: These are general guidelines based on the minimum experience normally considered essential to the satisfactory performance of this job. Individual abilities may result in some deviation from these guidelines.
To perform effectively in this position, the incumbent is required to have(see preferred list below):
- Minimum of a Certification for Medical Assistant from a California accredited school.
- CPR Certified – Adult, Child, Infant (Provider), including Obstructed Airway sponsored by the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross required.
- Skills in performing venipuncture, audiometry and spirometry
- Prior clinical experience in a health care setting in a similar community clinic environment.
- Ability/skill in conducting EKG tests
- Skill in communicating family planning methods
- Demonstrated ability to listen and communicate with others in a professional and caring manner including sensitivity with individuals from diverse cultures and lifestyles.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities for tasks to work effectively in spite of interruptions and under minimal supervision. Self-starter, reliable and dependable.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the Clinic Practice Management system (HEALTH PORT) within three months after attending proper training.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Strong verbal and interpersonal skills communicate clearly and effectively with patients and others.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative relationships with staff members, patients and clinicians.
- The flexibility to deal effectively with changes in work schedules and sites.
- General computer skills and routine clerical skills (e.g., data entry, filing, completing forms)
- Willingness to commit to the philosophy and goals of the Saban Community Clinic
OUR MISSION Saban Community Clinic, in collaboration with strategic partners, serves as a medical home for the underserved and those who are most vulnerable by providing comprehensive, dependable and affordable quality health care in a caring environment.
OUR HISTORY In 1967 the Clinic (originally named The Los Angeles Free Clinic) opened its doors to provide medical, behavioral health and social services to low-income and uninsured individuals at no cost. The staff was made up entirely of volunteers and operated solely on donations. In 2008 The Los Angeles Free Clinic was renamed The Saban Free Clinic in honor of a $10 million endowment from philanthropists Cheryl and Haim Saban. Reflecting its new designation as a Federally Qualified Health Center in a new era in health care with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the Clinic was renamed to Saban Community Clinic in 2013.
The Clinic is a proud community clinic training site, partnering with Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and Kaiser Permanente on residency training programs, and with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA on the Jim Slotnick Fellowship in Medicine, a paid fellowship at Saban Community Clinic for first-year UCLA medical students.
Role: Medical Assistant
Location: Los Angeles,
Apply for this job now.